1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Unable to reach local clients after roaming

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by arnerek, Feb 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. arnerek

arnerek New Around Here

Hi

I have a AiMesh setup:
    Ac86: router 3.0.0.4.384_81351-gcb63868
    Ac68u: node 3.0.0.4.385_20252-ga052d4c

I am running with wireless backhaul. I have disabled smart connect as this gave a lot of disconnects.

Everything works fine and stable except that if a client (e.g. iPhone) roams from router to node and back again to the router by moving around the house, this client is not able to reach any clients connected to the node. Other clients can reach routers clients and node clients.

Anyone that has experienced anything similar?

2. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

You will find some more with these problems, you can try other (older) firmwares or Merlin's on master and node, last time I read it here with AX routers.
    Or you hope they will fix it in coming 386 firmwares.

3. Smokindog

Smokindog Senior Member

Do you have a wire you can use for backhaul? These problems don't exist if you use AP mode (or at least I've not experienced them). I use AC3100's and AC68's in the main house.

4. arnerek

arnerek New Around Here

Unfortunately not. I have tested with some old homeplug but they only give me 20 MBit throughput, but you are right. This problem goes away with wired backhaul.

5. Smokindog

Smokindog Senior Member

Wired backhaul and ditching AiMess :)

L&LD likes this.
  6. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

Nope. My 2.4 Android softphone can call a wired VoIP phone on my wireless node while roaming from router to node and back to router again. And, it can call a 5.0 Android softphone on my wireless node while roaming the same. And, a 5.0 Android softphone can call another 5.0 Android softphone on my wireless node while roaming the same. For the last test, the Android tablet on the wireless node was also streaming OTA antenna TV from a TV tuner wired to the router... that only paused for the call and immediately resumed streaming after I hung up the call. I use separate SSIDs on a 2x86U AiMesh with fixed channels. I don't use any Apple products.

OE

L&LD likes this.
  7. arnerek

arnerek New Around Here

Ok. The weird behavior might be caused by my aging ac68 then since we have similar configuration except you have two ac86?

8. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

I have a 2x86U Aimesh installed as noted here.

OE

Marin likes this.
  9. arnerek

arnerek New Around Here

I have now installed Merlin 384.15 on both router and node. Same issues here. After a trip around the house it is not possible to reach the clients connected to the node. Frustrating!

I am a bit reluctant to invest in another AC86u, as it may not help. Send bug report to ASUS, haven’t heard a word. Is this normal?

10. jazzer

jazzer New Around Here

Yes! I have this exact problem and it's frustrating. Copying what i wrote on a diff post below.

... Aimesh routing issue I have, where devices that roam from one node to another become unreachable to devices on other nodes.

As an example, my NAS is connected to a aimesh node, when my iPhone roams from that node to the main router, I am no longer able to reach the NAS. Internet works fine & roaming back will immediately make it reachable again.

This seems to be a roaming issue, because if I disconnect my iPhone for ~ 10 mins, and reconnect it directly to the main router, it can reach the NAS connected on the node. But roaming to it and back, will make it unreachable again.

My current setup is AiMesh with wireless backhaul - AC5300 as a Router + 1x Ac5300 node + 1x Ac86 node.