1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Unable to use AC66_B1/AC68 U as a reliable media bridge (solved)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Gedeon30, Nov 4, 2018.

1. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

@Bort @Gedeon30 @RMerlin

OK...looking at the code everyone running in repeater mode should be seeing that message (a companion fix is needed).

Merlin tweaked my previous fix a bit, so let me write the companion fix and gen a test4 for you to try.

Bort and Gedeon30 like this.
  2. john9527

@RMerlin
    I think we just need to drop in the same test code from services.c into watchdog.c

Bort likes this.
  3. john9527

SwampKracker and Bort like this.
  4. Bort

Bort New Around Here

john9527 likes this.
  5. agilani

agilani Senior Member

I really recommend using different ssid for the repeaters so you know where you are connecting to if you need to troubleshoot it. Your call.

6. Gedeon30

Gedeon30 Occasional Visitor

I use different SSIDs in the Asus/repeater but I also hide those ones to avoid confusion inside my home. In this case I called those SSID "MediaHub" and "MediaHub5g"… just in case, I could need them.

In the ISP router I enabled a second, but also hidden, SSID in the 5ghz band called "WifiLink5g" which is the one used by the Asus running in repeater mode to establish the link. So no more clients use that SSID and the password can be different from the main WiFi 5ghz used in home.

Next days I'll try to guess which forward rules I should add in the Asus to allow upnp broadcast/discovering to pass from the main wifi to the lan nodes. Maybe issues could arise due to ttl.

7. Gedeon30

@john9527

I've tested the firmware too and it seems very stable.

I was just wondering if there is a command line to disable/delete the SSIDs I don't plan to use (MediaHub /MediaHub5g). Doing that, not only hiding them, will "virtually" transform the repeater mode in a "bridge" from the user point of view.

Maybe I'm wrong but disabling those could also increase the speed/stability of the wifi link with the main router.

Thanks again.

8. SwampKracker

SwampKracker Regular Contributor

9. SwampKracker

SwampKracker Regular Contributor

A 20 minute ping test was successful. I can finally use my RT-AC68R as a media bridge.

Update: after less than 24 hours, the media bridge became unusable. I will try again this weekend and see what additional information I can get out of the experiment.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  10. JDB

JDB Very Senior Member

Any reason not to try proper media bridge mode with this fixed firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. john9527

@Gedeon30 was still reporting mulitcast problems in true media bridge mode.

JDB likes this.
  12. Gedeon30

Yes. I tested the test3 version in pure bridge mode with no luck.

Multicast traffic killed the bridge. So I set the repeater mode and it works well, with the minor issue about some upnp/DLNA but I'm still not sure which causes it. Maybe the DLNA server itself since from the main wifi dlna renderers are detected, but not sure at all since caches can make these tests a bit difficult.

test4 aimed to fix the watchdog reporting each 30 seconds stopped dnsmasq service.

13. agilani

agilani Senior Member

You can always url surf to menus manually on the repeater and change or disable them. Don't disable the radio you are using for backhaul of course.

14. Gedeon30

At this moment in repeater mode I'm unable to find a web page (hidden or public) to disable the SSIDs...

15. john9527

I don't think what you want is possible....with repeater mode the router is essentially another client and needs to know where it should connect.

16. Gedeon30

Certainly it seems that repeater mode doesn't allow me to disable the SSIDs in any way.

17. agilani

agilani Senior Member

You can manually url surf to a lot of the menus hidden when you enable repeater mode

http://<yourrepeaterip>/Advanced_WAdvanced_Content.asp
    http://<yourrepeaterip>/Advanced_Wireless_Content.asp

looks like disabling the wireless radio radio isn't one of them. I would just make sure the 2.4ghz is using a different channel that your isp router so there isn't a chance for interference

18. Gedeon30

That option doesn't seem to work. The 5g band SSID must be in the same channel that the wifi link SSID from the main router.

I've just moved a bit the 2.4g and 5g channels. The wifi link is established between 702mbos and 866mbps and the lan clients connected the repeater get between 350mbps and 400mpbs from internet (measured with ookla). So no reasons to complain, since the ISP router only has 2 internal antennas.

19. Bort

Bort New Around Here

I think media bridge has been broken for a while now. I've been using it in repeater mode with hidden SSIDs and it seems to be stable.