What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there any documentation about the adblocker configuration or where do we change the host file that is downloaded?
Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to understand and learn more about unbound and included adblocker.
I think the information is in the first couple posts of this thread.

Is there any documentation about the adblocker configuration or where do we change the host file that is downloaded?
Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to understand and learn more about unbound and included adblocker.
I think it's hosted on Github.

The Ad Block script used by unbound_manager is '/opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/gen_adblock.sh' and runs daily.

unbound_manager can analyse the diversion lists to see if it is worth converting the diversion lists to a compatible Ad Block format.

@Mutzli posted an link to blocking lists here

Last edited:
Unbound + Uptime = Snappy browsing and channel changing. For me anyways! :D:cool:

Anyone else seeing more than one instance of unbound being started at router boot up? I could kill -9 one of them but why did two get started?

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC86U 384.15_0 Sat Feb  8 18:41:28 UTC 2020
no-one@RT-AC86U-3860:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep unbound
 2216 nobody    111m S    unbound -c /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf
 2256 nobody    111m S    unbound -c /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing more than one instance of unbound being started at router boot up? I could kill -9 one of them but why did two get started?

Code:

Code:
no-one@RT-AC86U-3860:/tmp/mnt/archive/entware/etc/init.d# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    2 no-one   root          4096 Feb 17 12:44 .
drwxr-xr-x   10 no-one   root          4096 Feb 13 18:05 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           250 Feb  1 18:09 S01syslog-ng
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           382 Feb 15 16:51 S02haveged
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root          1008 Feb 15 16:51 S61unbound
-rw-r--r--    1 no-one   root          2822 May 22  2019 rc.func
-rw-r--r--    1 no-one   root          1145 Feb 17 12:44 rc.func.syslog-ng
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           966 May 22  2019 rc.unslung
Yes I have several as well using this command.

Code:

Code:
no-one@RT-AC86U-3860:/tmp/mnt/archive/entware/etc/init.d# ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    2 no-one   root          4096 Feb 17 12:44 .
drwxr-xr-x   10 no-one   root          4096 Feb 13 18:05 ..
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           250 Feb  1 18:09 S01syslog-ng
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           382 Feb 15 16:51 S02haveged
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root          1008 Feb 15 16:51 S61unbound
-rw-r--r--    1 no-one   root          2822 May 22  2019 rc.func
-rw-r--r--    1 no-one   root          1145 Feb 17 12:44 rc.func.syslog-ng
-rwxr-xr-x    1 no-one   root           966 May 22  2019 rc.unslung
Your instances of unbound will depend on your unbound.conf's "num-threads " configuration. Do you have two(2)?

Your instances of unbound will depend on your unbound.conf's "num-threads " configuration. Do you have two(2)?

@bluepoint Yes I do have num-threads=2. Just changed that and hadn't looked at the process list until now. I should have read the docs at nlnetlabs before posting. Thanks for your reply.

What is this 'Uptime' you mentioned?
The longer unbound is running, the better.
So it can cache as many DNS requests as possible and you get high cache hits.
After a reboot, the cache is gone.

Dont know if this actually cause it but after upgrading Skynet to 7.1.1 version and having unbound configuration I am unable this morning to use amtm "u" command. Executed with ERR for all packages. Also, it took a unusual long time to invoke Unbound from amtm menu (Skynet was ok).
Is there a was to downgrade Skynet for me to validate and retest?

@Markster I don't think that is possible (easily).

Can you navigate quicker the second time accessing those scripts?

Can you pause or restart Unbound and see if that fixes it for you?

Yesterday, I updated many routers to Skynet v7.1.1 and the only one that seemed a little slow was an original 'classic' RT-AC68U and an RT-AC66U_B1 model. But no errors and after a few minutes of letting the router idle, things were working fast for those too.

How long since you've rebooted the router? Mine is now almost 9 days without issues.

Depending on the updates that were done, maybe a reboot may help?

Yesterday, I updated many routers to Skynet v7.1.1 and the only one that seemed a little slow was an original 'classic' RT-AC68U and an RT-AC66U_B1 model. But no errors and after a few minutes of letting the router idle, things were working fast for those too.

How long since you've rebooted the router? Mine is now almost 9 days without issues.

I updated Skynet to 7.1.1 last night. Everything seems to work, however this morning before going to work I wanted to check unbound stats and this is when I noticed amtm failing. restarted the router but it is still happening. When I get home today I will try to disable the Skynet and see what happens. I saw few threads about the same errors others were experiencing but cannot tell if these were related post Skynet 7.1.1. upgrade or not.

Yesterday, before the Skynet update everything has worked. I cannot say what is causing it yet. Will update later today when I am back at home and try few things.

@Markster is your OpenVPN client always on and connected?

I would start the troubleshooting there. :)

I also wanted to add that when I experienced issues with amtm and unbound menus the internet access is working just fine.
For whatever reason amtm would give me "err upd" for all packages and unbound menu took minutes to come up but it was hanging.