What's new

Undead RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EeK

Regular Contributor
I've had this RT-AC87U that has already "died" on me twice, exhibiting the same behavior on both occasions: out of the blue, it would stop working and become unreachable. No way to ping it, no discoverable SSIDs, nothing (not even with a direct connection). No method of resetting it would work, either (reset button, 30-30-30 or WPS button).

When it first happened, and because it was out of warranty, I just gave up and used my ISP's modem/router for a while (leaving the Asus router unplugged for months). One day, I decided to try my luck again, and, to my surprise, a regular reset (holding the physical button for five seconds) worked immediately. I was then able to configure it once more and continue using the Asus router for a few more months - until the same thing happened again.

This time, I decided to buy a replacement, an RT-AC86U, and put the 87 away. More time passed, with that device completely unplugged, and I decided, once again, to see if it worked, so I could turn it into an access point.

I didn't even bother connecting an Ethernet cable to it, as I really didn't expect it to work, but, even more surprisingly, it started broadcasting both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSIDs, to which I could connect using my previously saved password (which means that my attempts at resetting it didn't fully work).

Even so, it redirected me to the initial config, and I was so excited that I just completed it on my phone, setting it to AP mode and to retrieve all required information (IP, DNS, etc.) automatically, after properly adding it to my network, via a wired connection.

Once I did that, however, it was gone again. No internet connection, no SSIDs, nothing. And because it was set to work as an AP, I couldn't even find its IP address anymore. Connecting it directly to my PC and using ipconfig results in it displaying the same information as my main router. I guess it's showing the relevant information (gateway, subnet mask, etc.) that it received from my router after it was added to the network, but I can't reach its GUI.

My question:

Resets don't work (any of them, like before), and the AC87U is most likely still in AP mode with the default SSIDs (I didn't change them), but with my saved passwords. Is there any way to reach it and make it work?

I'd really not be forced to buy another device if I could use one that I already have as an access point.

Is there any way to reach it and make it work?

Probably, but someone has to repair it first. Most likely it has intermittently failing power supply circuit inside the unit. Behind the power jack there are just a few components, but further down it has multiple voltage regulators for different modules. I'm sure you already tried with another external power supply brick and it is not causing the problem.

Last edited:
Abit same story... ac87 has become unstable lately few times - it just stop working, and no connection between devices. Took several on/off on the last time to get it back on the track. Been quite unstable after couple of updates.. usually 5G stop working at first, then 2.4.., then 2.4 wakes up.. finally 5.

i didnt get on the dashboard from the web but was able to access it from the app - a typical phenomenom when the router starts lost connections/working odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!