What's new

Upcoming ASUS ROG Gaming Router: GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All I did was murmur a bit and try to recall the specs of 6502 and Z80 CPU's and try to remember how fast a Videotext/Viditel/Minitel page loaded through my first home build 1200 Baud Download / 75 Baud Upload modem.

1200/75 ??? What a luxury.

Huge improvement over my acoustic coupler!

To fellow programmers out there, here's an unexpected drop from Asus: GPL is already available for this model.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300/HelpDesk_Download/

I haven't had the time yet to look into it, but a quick glance shows that it's indeed a BCM4908, based on Linux 4.1, and Busybox was upgraded to 1.25.1. You guys can start digging through it now, for more details.

I haven't had the time yet to look into it, but a quick glance shows that it's indeed a BCM4908, based on Linux 4.1, and Busybox was upgraded to 1.25.1. You guys can start digging through it now, for more details.

Busy with other stuff - nice to see them move the BSP over to Linux 4.1 though, the 2.6 was getting close to end-of-life/end-of-support from the kernel team.

can´t wait to test this router in extreme situations, I´m almost going to industrial solutions because I´ve found that it has the same prices...

interesting just noticed this in the RT-AC88U section

TUXERA_SMBD=y

Supports SMB3.11 including Multichannel

http://tuxera.com/wp-content/uploads/Specifications/Tuxera_SMB_Technical_Specifications.pdf

this is a huge leap for smb support cant wait

Sadly, it's not the same smbd as they advertise there :( It's just a customized version of Samba 3.0.25b, it's been part of the GPL for at least 2 years already. When I tested it out when it first appeared, it gave me worse performance than Asus's 3.0.25.

by the looks of it tuxera has licensed microsoft's smb source in october 2016
and was thinking we where getting that
but on looking further its the same as you have atm
with a bit of luck asus will update it at some point

HFSPLUS=3014.7.28
HFSPROGS=3014.7.28
NTFS=3015.1.29.5.2
NTFSPROGS=3014.5.21
TFAT=3015.1.29.3
TFATPROGS=3014.9.11
THFSLABEL=libthfs-3014.8.10
TSAMBA=3015.8.11

Last edited:
So is it technically possible that Merlin Firmware could run on this and not have the disgusting UI?

I don't know how extensively tied to the css that model's webui is. It's possible that some of its unique features are only implemented with the ROG-themed CSS.

can this router be bought now? I don't see it for sale anywhere online

They just launched this router in Singapore last weekend at the IT Show we had here.

I too haven't seen it online yet, I did however... manage to get my hands on 1 :D certainly an upgrade from the one provided to me by my ISP.

Whats really funny is that none of you guys picked up on the misuse of optimised for gaming. Even better for me is that i wont need such a router for years for fast performance as i already have my CCR. Some of mikrotik routerboard features actually accelerate gaming. In the case of the CCR, the architecture and CPU connected ports + NAT acceleration optimise the latency for gaming :p

There arent any 2.5G or 5G ethernet ports either, my CCR has 2 10Gb/s ports and many bonding modes as it lacks a switch chip. At least with the CCR1009 you can get one with CPU connected ports + a single 10G port and SFP port so you dont need a modem with your 1Gb/s internet.

A router optimised for gaming only needs 2 things. 1) CPU connected ports with a responsive CPU architecture, 2) good QoS. This ROG router doesnt even feature geo filters that allow you to avoid far away lobbies or game servers for those games where you cant pick your server.

The AC88U 8 ports were on 2 switch chips. the 2nd switch chip only connected with the first using 1Gb/s link, i hope this will change with this router.

From what i tested my mikrotik router is 1ms faster than asus because of the CPU connected ports and architecture.

I am on my second thinking my first one was bad. I have an original ac5300 that works like a charm. Bought the new one and plugged it in and it says no cable plugged into the wan port. Reset power on everything same thing. Weird. Plugged my original 5300 in and works like a charm. Plugged in my ac3100 works like a charm. Plugged the new dog ac5300'in says no cablenin wan port.

Took t back to Best Buy. Drove another hour to a different Best Buy and bought another. It's doing the same exact thing. No cablenin wan port. So now back on my original ac5300.

What's up Asus?!?!?!?!

its 0.15ms from my asus to my modem
so cant see where your getting 1ms from
From PC to router to internet. ping also records return time too so with a longer path the difference is bigger.
cpu connected ports make a difference and while not as big its only big enough to make the numbers changed when rounded up.

So does the GT-AC5300 support VPN Client? I looked at the specs list and it doesn't say that it does.

It does, they even mention a new feature called VPN Fusion that's tied to it.

It does, they even mention a new feature called VPN Fusion that's tied to it.
Thanks Merlin. And thank you for your firmware for ASUS routers. But since you don't have plans of creating a firmware for this router it really doesn't really appeal to me. I have to cancel my order for this router and rather keep my RT-AC88U or get the RT-AC5300 instead.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!