What's new

Upcoming ASUS ROG Gaming Router: GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ah i see. Asus spends more money on SW R&D than competitors, this paid-for research is getting forked for free by other people and running it on non-Asus hardware.

Yea, can't blame them for close sourcing now.

Can't asus
Asus' recent decisions weren't made just to annoy me (or their customers). They have to take steps to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies such as the FCC, but also to protect their own intellectual properties, as well as existing licensing agreement they have with Trend Micro, Tuxera and others. So, part of these changes aren't entirely by choice, but by necessity (often legal ones).

I still blame in good part the recent flocks of forks running on non-Asus hardware. Asus are most likely spending more money into software R&D than most of their competitors in that market. If they don't get a ROI by selling routers, then they have to either cut down on investments, or take steps to ensure that their competitors don't end up with all of Asus's development, for free.
softly know the firmware to only work on their units, like a key system fr authentication tied to their hardware so any fake forks would fail to work. And then there would be less need for closed source code.

softly know the firmware to only work on their units, like a key system fr authentication tied to their hardware so any fake forks would fail to work. And then there would be less need for closed source code.

It's not that simple. The only way to truly lock things would be by moving everything to an encrypted/signed system. Which would mean the end of ANY third party firmware.

When you have open source code, there's nothing preventing someone from easily changing that code.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!