What's new

Upcoming ASUS ROG Gaming Router: GT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there going to be basically a AC 3100 but with this better SOC? The VPN acceleration would be nice. Otherwise, my twin AC3100s serves my needs fine, one router and media bridge.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Is there going to be basically a AC 3100 but with this better SOC? The VPN acceleration would be nice. Otherwise, my twin AC3100s serves my needs fine, one router and media bridge.

The latest GPL code hints at an RT-AC86, but so far there's no real detail about it.

Computex is coming soon. This tradeshow is in Asus's backyard, so it's when they usually make most of their new product announcement rather than at CES. Maybe we'll hear more then.

Thanks Merlin. And thank you for your firmware for ASUS routers. But since you don't have plans of creating a firmware for this router it really doesn't really appeal to me. I have to cancel my order for this router and rather keep my RT-AC88U or get the RT-AC5300 instead.

Where did merlin say he was or wasn't going to support the GT-AC5300? I missed that.

I am hoping merlin will support the GT-AC5300. as I just purchased one on sale to replace a AC68R 1st generation that died. I couldn't justify paying for a RT-AC5300 instead of the GT-AC5300 when the sales price was only $20 more at newegg with free shipping(shopper runner) and no tax. I could get it the same price on Amazon with prime but would of had to pay taxes on it.

At this time, I don't plan to support that model.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

At this time, I don't plan to support that model.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply, I know your a busy guy with all that you do support, I hope you will eventually reconsider as I am a great fan of your work on my RT-AC68R ver. 1.0.

Keep up the great work and maybe you will change your mind in the future.

I am hoping merlin will support the GT-AC5300. as I just purchased one on sale to replace a AC68R 1st generation that died. I couldn't justify paying for a RT-AC5300 instead of the GT-AC5300 when the sales price was only $20 more at newegg with free shipping(shopper runner) and no tax. I could get it the same price on Amazon with prime but would of had to pay taxes on it.

I really wanted to like this new router, I went to best buy about a week ago and wanted to test it out. The FW is super buggy, I returned 3 of them back to bestbuy. I could not get the damm thing to work at all, some people are having issues with this new router. Glad yours is working.

I have to reckon because the GT-AC5300 is Qualcomm-based, and Merlin's firmware is attuned for Broadcom chipsets in general.

Merlin, is this correct?

I have to reckon because the GT-AC5300 is Qualcomm-based, and Merlin's firmware is attuned for Broadcom chipsets in general.

Merlin, is this correct?

The GT-AC5300 is based on the Broadcom BCM4908 and BCM4366E.

The GT-AC5300 is based on the Broadcom BCM4908 and BCM4366E.

I must have read wrong somewhere.

does it have anything to do with this specific Broadcom chipset that is the reason you're not supporting it for now?

Just curious, not that i need a GC AC5300. I don't have enough devices in apartment to warrant such a router, even the AC3100 may be overkill lol.

Although, now that reminds me, is Gigabit wireless possible between twin AC3100s, one in router and one in bridge?

because i'm getting Optimum 400/4o plan, but may go gigabit if the providers in my area provides gigabit for a cheaper price.

I must have read wrong somewhere.

does it have anything to do with this specific Broadcom chipset that is the reason you're not supporting it for now?

Just curious, not that i need a GC AC5300. I don't have enough devices in apartment to warrant such a router, even the AC3100 may be overkill lol.

Although, now that reminds me, is Gigabit wireless possible between twin AC3100s, one in router and one in bridge?

because i'm getting Optimum 400/4o plan, but may go gigabit if the providers in my area provides gigabit for a cheaper price.

1) That model has a custom UI, which means for me double the UI work just to deal with that specific model's UI
2) Based on a different firmware code base than what I use, and merging that new code base is near impossible at the moment, partly because of the many changes, and partly because no other router model is supported by that new code, so I would have to drop support for ALL other models to switch to that new code base
3) Code looks pretty much unfinished at this stage, with frequent releases from Asus, and numerous issues still left
4) That new code base has even more portions than before that are now closed source, including the OpenVPN code and the networkmap service.

1) That model has a custom UI, which means for me double the UI work just to deal with that specific model's UI
2) Based on a different firmware code base than what I use, and merging that new code base is near impossible at the moment, partly because of the many changes, and partly because no other router model is supported by that new code, so I would have to drop support for ALL other models to switch to that new code base
3) Code looks pretty much unfinished at this stage, with frequent releases from Asus, and numerous issues still left
4) That new code base has even more portions than before that are now closed source, including the OpenVPN code and the networkmap service.
1. Can be done with ur standard Asus UI with the Merlin logo! I mean, it may be RoG gaming, but your hypothetical firmware UI can just be stock Asus UI blue/grey like you use on other supported routers.

Everything else.... yea, I don't blame you.

Now this will be a problem. What if they use this different code base going forward as their default? It would have to be more future routers to justify your effort to move to new code base and all that.

I would have to assume new routers will be off a newer code base. So perhaps the more new routers Asus releases, the more "common" the code base for the GT will be to the current product offerings.

So if Asus's OpenVPN implementation (VPN Fusion) is closed source, does this mean you wouldn't be able to also implement your OpenVPN tab in the GUI as well?

1. Can be done with ur standard Asus UI with the Merlin logo! I mean, it may be RoG gaming, but your hypothetical firmware UI can just be stock Asus UI blue/grey like you use on other supported routers.

It's not just about the skin (which is probably all done at the CSS level), it's about all the additional menu entries that do not exist on the other models. Every time Asus makes a change to the menu layout, it's a major headache for me due to how horribly messed up the webui menu generation code is. Thankfully, they are rewriting a good portion of it with 382, however it's still not simple to deal with.

Now this will be a problem. What if they use this different code base going forward as their default? It would have to be more future routers to justify your effort to move to new code base and all that.

It means that they will have to port the previous models to that codebase. If they don't, then either I stop adding new models, or I drop all the old models and start all over again with the new ones. Or someone else takes over the existing model while I focus on to the new ones. Would still leave me with weeks, if not months of work to merge the new 382 code, plus all the increased closed sources headaches.

I definitely don't have the time nor the resources to maintain two separate codebases all on my own.

So if Asus's OpenVPN implementation (VPN Fusion) is closed source, does this mean you wouldn't be able to also implement your OpenVPN tab in the GUI as well?

It means I would have to ditch Asus's new VPN implementation, and only use my own implementation (which is already a bit different, as I've kept my original VPNStatus and OpenVPN Client configuration UI rather than switching to Asus's own). Probably no VPN Fusion support (but then, having looked at their current code I currently prefer my own RPDB-based implementation). So for Asuswrt-Merlin users, it would be business as usual for OpenVPN. Just that if they start adding new features to OpenVPN, that there's a good chance I won't be able to backport them on top of mine (not having access to their source code). And if they start tying parts of OpenVPN into the rest of the firmware (like into the closed source portions), THEN I'm going to have a new problem. Could mean the need for hacking stuff together to keep it working...

This will also mean the end of full backward AND forward compatibility between our firmware (the current ability to move back and forth between Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin without having to reconfigure anything). OpenVPN settings wouldn't be compatible between the two versions.

Yes, this whole situation with the 382 codebase and the increase in closed source portions is increasingly problematic for me. I've already notified Asus about it. They said they are looking into potential ways to better interact with third party developers, but at this point I'm not holding my breath, as they've known for quite some time already how problematic for me this is becoming. The problem started well before 382 first came out - as far back as a year ago, when they started moving portions of the libshared and rc components into binary blobs.

Well, I wonder if sales will be affected if Asus makes it harder to do your build on their routers.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure if a huge chunk of sales has anything to do with Merlin firmware. But I do not know of other brands that have the same "stock-alternative" firmware that you do for Asus.

Speaking of which, would be cool if there's like Merlin routers with Merlin firmware, and have like, a wizard hat as your logo. [emoji14]

But yea, sucks to see future Asus Routers potentially without your firmware, it is one of the reasons I have Asus routers instead of another brand.

IMO, Asus should tread carefully here.

IMO, Asus should tread carefully here.

Asus' recent decisions weren't made just to annoy me (or their customers). They have to take steps to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies such as the FCC, but also to protect their own intellectual properties, as well as existing licensing agreement they have with Trend Micro, Tuxera and others. So, part of these changes aren't entirely by choice, but by necessity (often legal ones).

I still blame in good part the recent flocks of forks running on non-Asus hardware. Asus are most likely spending more money into software R&D than most of their competitors in that market. If they don't get a ROI by selling routers, then they have to either cut down on investments, or take steps to ensure that their competitors don't end up with all of Asus's development, for free.

I still blame in good part the recent flocks of forks running on non-Asus hardware. Asus are most likely spending more money into software R&D than most of their competitors in that market. If they don't get a ROI by selling routers, then they have to either cut down on investments, or take steps to ensure that their competitors don't end up with all of Asus's development, for free.

Absolutely agree Asus is the leader in features they are offering customers.

For the XVortex port (only one I can think of), I can't see that being much of an issue. I would like to think purchases are not being made in order to run the port, but more so giving users the ability to run on existing hardware they already have. EA6900 and R7000 are getting long in the tooth now......

If anything, I liked thinking that users of this port would even more appreciate Asus firmware and make their next purchase an Asus router. XVortex will only be around so long until he moves on, unlike you. His port is limited to the one 1900 broadcom platform.

For the XVortex port (only one I can think of), I can't see that being much of an issue. I would like to think purchases are not being made in order to run the port, but more so giving users the ability to run on existing hardware they already have. EA6900 and R7000 are getting long in the tooth now......

XVortex isn't the worst offender, since he at least tried to remove the Asus-licensed features when asked to. That's not necessarily the case for the numerous Chinese forks however.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!