What's new

Updated my AC68U to latest .4585 firmware now I get this error.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gerry

New Around Here
Since updating to the latest firmware version, my router has been working quite well except that the system log is flooded with the following message that is generated every minute:

ntp: start NTP update

It goes on and on.

The router is linked to the correct NTP server and the date and time are accurate.

It connects to the Asus default of: pool.ntp.org.

Should I use s different server?

Last edited:
I think maybe the server was down/in trouble for a bit today. It took 2 attempts for my AP to update about half an hour ago. All good now though.

Not trying to hijack anyone's thread. I have the same router and I also updated yesterday and now when I use AiCloud to access my attached WD MyBook it says firmware upgrade available for my router.

Not trying to hijack anyone's thread. I have the same router and I also updated yesterday and now when I use AiCloud to access my attached WD MyBook it says firmware upgrade available for my router.
You're not the only one. Same here !!!

Since updating to the latest firmware version, my router has been working quite well except that the system log is flooded with the following message that is generated every minute:

ntp: start NTP update

It goes on and on.

The router is linked to the correct NTP server and the date and time are accurate.

It connects to the Asus default of: pool.ntp.org.

Should I use s different server?
I am getting the same thing every 10 seconds. I tried the asia.pool.ntp.org subset but no difference. (No surprise there as it should be the same.) UPDATE: I also tried ntp.nict.jp but no improvement. I have tried changing time ones as well, but no improvement. Interestingly, even if I change time ones (without rebooting) the time on the router does not change. To me this indicates that the router is not getting through to the NTP server in the first place.
I was also getting excessive ntp polls with the previous firmware, though it seems like this is a recent issue, so I am wondering if it has to do with the firmware not properly handling daylight savings time or something. (My time zone is NOT one that changes times.) It IS affecting my performance, so I am hoping for a fix. If I find a workaround I'll post.

Last edited:
I am getting the same thing every 10 seconds. I tried the asia.pool.ntp.org subset but no difference. (No surprise there as it should be the same.) UPDATE: I also tried ntp.nict.jp but no improvement. I have tried changing time ones as well, but no improvement. Interestingly, even if I change time ones (without rebooting) the time on the router does not change. To me this indicates that the router is not getting through to the NTP server in the first place.
I was also getting excessive ntp polls with the previous firmware, though it seems like this is a recent issue, so I am wondering if it has to do with the firmware not properly handling daylight savings time or something. (My time zone is NOT one that changes times.) It IS affecting my performance, so I am hoping for a fix. If I find a workaround I'll post.
I was also getting that. I did a factory reset on the router then I did a manual up grade after I downloaded the new firmware from the asus home site to my desktop.

I was also getting that. I did a factory reset on the router then I did a manual up grade after I downloaded the new firmware from the asus home site to my desktop.
So I assume it was solved by doing the clean update? That is great news. Did you restore your settings from a file or did you redo everything from scratch?

So I assume it was solved by doing the clean update? That is great news. Did you restore your settings from a file or did you redo everything from scratch?
I have only owned this router about a week so I just use the quick start menu.

I have only owned this router about a week so I just use the quick start menu.
Thanks for the info. I'll be away on business for a couple weeks but will try a clean install with settings read when I get back. I appreciate the responses.

I haven't tried the clean install yet, but my son did a temporary workaround just to get things stable while I was gone. I thought I would post them here in case someone else is interested.

1. In the settings page under Administration enable SSH and get the port and login information from this screen.
2. Log in to the router using Teraterm or other SSH client. (The ID/PASSWORD is the same as the one you use to access the settings page, unless you get more sophisticated with keys and such when you do the enable.)
3. Kill the ntp process with
kill $(pidof ntp)

That should stop the endless ntp queries. Of course it also deprives the router of time correction, so one might want to log in and do a periodic query by:
ntpclient -h ntp.nict.jp -s
(ntp.nict.jp happens to be the ntp server I used. Replace as you will.)

You can check router usage using the "top" command.
Quit using "q".

Obviously this is not a great fix. Hopefully ASUS will come up with a fix to the route cause.

I ended up installing the Merlin frimware very stable so far. 378.51 did factory reset first .

Last edited:
I also ended up doing a factory reset and installing the Merlin firmware, and the time issues are gone. General stability seems much better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!