What's new

Upgrade to PC Router for Torrents?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Assimilator87

New Around Here
Hey guys! Finally joined this very knowledgeable forum :) I'm a networking noob so please bare with me. So whenever I turn on torrents, my internet cuts out. I'm guessing I can mess with the maximum connection settings to solve this issue, but I'd prefer to leave the settings at infinite and just throw more processing power at it. Is the maximum number of connections possible pretty much determined by the router's CPU speed? If so, I have a 1.5Ghz Athlon XP system lying around, collecting dust, and was wondering if that would be sufficient to handle any workload imaginable. If the PC router is the way to go, I'll definitely need some help setting it up and would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks everyone!

Hey guys! Finally joined this very knowledgeable forum :) I'm a networking noob so please bare with me. So whenever I turn on torrents, my internet cuts out. I'm guessing I can mess with the maximum connection settings to solve this issue, but I'd prefer to leave the settings at infinite and just throw more processing power at it. Is the maximum number of connections possible pretty much determined by the router's CPU speed? If so, I have a 1.5Ghz Athlon XP system lying around, collecting dust, and was wondering if that would be sufficient to handle any workload imaginable. If the PC router is the way to go, I'll definitely need some help setting it up and would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome, but in your case if that's a 64-bit system I would install or if you haven't install your Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS, MSE 64-bit, IOBIT Advance System Care Free, beef up the RAM to 2GB. Stick Vuze, Java Client, PeerBlock, Change the TCP.SYS from 10 to 100 (depends on your router max connections) There is software that backups the TCP.SYS and then you configure it to 100 and new TCP.SYS gets created in one shot. I would get a router that supports higher connections. There are some other tweaks to the system OS you need to perform then you should be okay.

Try PFSense, m0n0wall, or Smoothwall ...on that spare old PC. Replace your store bought consumer grade router with a good *nix router..and it'll handle anything you can throw at it...as long as you choose decent hardware to run it on.

Those p2p/torrent programs put a horrific load on routers, and your typical home grade routers will buckle under all the concurrent connections..that's why you see your internet get cut out.

Limit your connections within your torrent client.

Also those p2p/torrent programs bring bad things to your PC...the content on those has become one of the most widely used methods for spreading trojans and back doors..."poisoned content". So your PC is most likely infested...with its TCP stack/winsock files infected.

Last edited: