What's new

USB 2.0 vs 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Looking at replacing my old Buffalo Linkstation - it's only 500GB but I don't need that much.

Thinking of going to 2TB which is loads or maybe as much as 4TB which is ginormous.

So figure I only need a single drive NAS with an attached USB drive for backup.

So have been looking at the Buffalo 510 but I gather they use economy WD Green drives which doesn't appeal to me. The WD MyCloud uses WD Red drives which is good but that NAS is pretty slow in terms of transfer speed.

So looking at the Synology - it would be extra money which I could afford. Now the single drive 115j looked great, a little bit more but not hugely so, but then I noticed that it only has USB 2.0 compared with 3.0 on the linkstation.

There is the dual disk 216j which does have USB 3.0 but is a fair amount more and I would only want to put one drive in it.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Nigel

If you're going to do attached backup you'll want USB 3.

For backups - USB2 isn't a deal breaker - the backup process runs in the background on most NAS units, and at low priority which won't impact normal operations.

Most NAS units will have backup on a scheduled basis, so just schedule the backup in the middle of the night when nobody should be making changes on the NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!