What's new

USB Drives not listed in webUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peepsnet

Regular Contributor
Ver:384.16_beta2

I had things working fine with a 10TB(network storage NTFS) drive on the USB3.0 plug and an 8GB(entware drive ext4) on the USB2.0 plug

I replaced the 8GB drive with a 32GB(i used the AMTM DF tool to create 2 16gb partitions. one EXT4 and one NTFS) drive and now none of my drives show up in the SAMBA and FTP webUI.

I can still FTP in to the router and view files over the network shares.

How can I get the drives to appear again????

The 10TB drive is at /dev/sda1
The 32GB drive is at /dev/sdb*

Edit: I guess it should be worth noting I do not remember looking at the SAMBA and FTP webUI after updating from beta1 to beta2.

Last edited:
Have you rebooted the router?

Look for messages during the boot process related to sda and sdb in the router's syslog.

Have you rebooted the router?

Look for messages during the boot process related to sda and sdb in the router's syslog.
Yes rebooted
There are no errors.
All the entries seem to end with:
Code:
Mar 27 14:18:55 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/10TBStorage.

Mar 27 14:19:14 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv
Mar 27 14:19:14 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv.

Mar 27 14:18:33 syslog: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdb1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusEntDrv
Mar 27 14:18:33 usb: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdb1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusEntDrv.
Mar 27 14:18:33 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr

I did have the disk check script running in the AMTM tools. I just removed that but I dont have high hopes since the drives mounted and I can browse them from SFTP and shell

Also all the amtm and entware scripts are working

Last edited:
There are no errors.
All the entries seem to end with:
Code:
Mar 27 14:18:55 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/10TBStorage.

Mar 27 14:19:14 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv
Mar 27 14:19:14 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv.

I did have the disk check script running in the AMTM tools. I just removed that but I dont have high hopes since the drives mounted and I can browse them from SFTP and shell
Under the SAMBA tab, did you give the appropriate user(s) access to the shares? Sounds like a security setting issue to me.

If you use ftp, then you'll also need to configure the security under that tab as well.

Last edited:
Under the SAMBA tab, did you give the appropriate user(s) access to the shares? Sounds like a security setting issue to me.

If you use ftp, then you'll also need to configure the security under that tab as well.

zQSIxo0.png

There are no drives there to add settings to

There was a similar problem reported here. In that case it was caused by the device's hardware name containing an apostrophe.

Code:
Aug  1 02:00:31 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk' Cruzer Fit       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6

There was a similar problem reported here. In that case it was caused by the device's hardware name containing an apostrophe.

Would of chased that for ever!! THANKS
UOaDHge.png

Well looky what we have here!!! I am off to try to fix that!!!!

Last edited:
Just to follow up and clarify this for future users.

It was the device name. It cannot contain apostrophe. I replaced the Thumb drive with another/different one and it worked fine.

I don't think that is an apostrophe; I think it is a representation of a TM.

Partition magic sees it as an apostrophe as well

2l9isLM.png

Additionally I am now ising a 128GB sandisk thumbdrive and there is nothing invalid in the name for it

It would seem logical that was Sandisk's intention. However looking at scsi_scan we can see that the Vendor name is being read directly from the device and sent to the syslog unaltered. This suggests to me that Sandisk messed up their production of these devices (there are plenty of previous examples of this device that don't have the rogue apostrophe).

That may make some sense.....
On the router it looks like they are reading the device name as a long long unsigned integer and if it is a TM symbol, the unicode TM is being garbled in the translation.
It also looks like there may a a quick 'fix' to make it tolerate the single quote/apostrophe. If anyone is willing to try it, I could probably make up a test build over the next few days.

Or maybe a R. From the Staples web site:

SanDisk® Cruzer Fit™ 64GB External USB Flash Drive

That may make some sense.....
On the router it looks like they are reading the device name as a long long unsigned integer and if it is a TM symbol, the unicode TM is being garbled in the translation.
It also looks like there may a a quick 'fix' to make it tolerate the single quote/apostrophe. If anyone is willing to try it, I could probably make up a test build over the next few days.

Well since I have a USB drive that has a ' then its me!!

I'll add to the puzzle that I have an 86U also with a Cruzer Fit that had an expected reboot a week ago and the Fit never mounted. Thankfully the router didn't hang. This happened the very day my 87U with a Fit went haywire. Could be a coincidence, but then there is rule 39.

Rule 39? I don't see how it applies here? :oops:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!