1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

USB Drives not listed in webUI

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by peepsnet, Mar 27, 2020.

1. peepsnet

peepsnet Regular Contributor

Ver:384.16_beta2

I had things working fine with a 10TB(network storage NTFS) drive on the USB3.0 plug and an 8GB(entware drive ext4) on the USB2.0 plug

I replaced the 8GB drive with a 32GB(i used the AMTM DF tool to create 2 16gb partitions. one EXT4 and one NTFS) drive and now none of my drives show up in the SAMBA and FTP webUI.

I can still FTP in to the router and view files over the network shares.

How can I get the drives to appear again????

The 10TB drive is at /dev/sda1
    The 32GB drive is at /dev/sdb*

Edit: I guess it should be worth noting I do not remember looking at the SAMBA and FTP webUI after updating from beta1 to beta2.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Have you rebooted the router?

Look for messages during the boot process related to sda and sdb in the router's syslog.

3. peepsnet

Yes rebooted
    There are no errors.
    All the entries seem to end with:
    Code:
    Mar 27 14:18:55 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/10TBStorage.

Mar 27 14:19:14 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv
    Mar 27 14:19:14 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sdb2 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusNTFSDrv.

Mar 27 14:18:33 syslog: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdb1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusEntDrv
    Mar 27 14:18:33 usb: USB ext4 fs at /dev/sdb1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/AsusEntDrv.
    Mar 27 14:18:33 kernel: EXT4-fs (sdb1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: user_xattr

I did have the disk check script running in the AMTM tools. I just removed that but I dont have high hopes since the drives mounted and I can browse them from SFTP and shell

Also all the amtm and entware scripts are working

4. RiskyBusiness

RiskyBusiness Occasional Visitor

Under the SAMBA tab, did you give the appropriate user(s) access to the shares? Sounds like a security setting issue to me.

If you use ftp, then you'll also need to configure the security under that tab as well.

5. ColinTaylor

So this seems to be purely a display problem in the router's GUI? If you open the developer tools on that page does it show any errors?

6. peepsnet

[​IMG]

There are no drives there to add settings to

7. ColinTaylor

There was a similar problem reported here. In that case it was caused by the device's hardware name containing an apostrophe.

Code:
    Aug  1 02:00:31 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk' Cruzer Fit       1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6

peepsnet likes this.
  8. peepsnet

Would of chased that for ever!! THANKS
    [​IMG]

Well looky what we have here!!! I am off to try to fix that!!!!

9. peepsnet

Just to follow up and clarify this for future users.

It was the device name. It cannot contain apostrophe. I replaced the Thumb drive with another/different one and it worked fine.

10. elorimer

elorimer Very Senior Member

I don't think that is an apostrophe; I think it is a representation of a TM.

peepsnet likes this.
  11. peepsnet

Partition magic sees it as an apostrophe as well

[​IMG]

Additionally I am now ising a 128GB sandisk thumbdrive and there is nothing invalid in the name for it

12. ColinTaylor

It would seem logical that was Sandisk's intention. However looking at scsi_scan we can see that the Vendor name is being read directly from the device and sent to the syslog unaltered. This suggests to me that Sandisk messed up their production of these devices (there are plenty of previous examples of this device that don't have the rogue apostrophe).

13. john9527

john9527 Part of the Furniture

That may make some sense.....
    On the router it looks like they are reading the device name as a long long unsigned integer and if it is a TM symbol, the unicode TM is being garbled in the translation.
    It also looks like there may a a quick 'fix' to make it tolerate the single quote/apostrophe. If anyone is willing to try it, I could probably make up a test build over the next few days.

peepsnet likes this.
  14. elorimer

Or maybe a R. From the Staples web site:

SanDiskĀ® Cruzer Fitā„¢ 64GB External USB Flash Drive

15. peepsnet

Well since I have a USB drive that has a ' then its me!!

16. elorimer

I'll add to the puzzle that I have an 86U also with a Cruzer Fit that had an expected reboot a week ago and the Fit never mounted. Thankfully the router didn't hang. This happened the very day my 87U with a Fit went haywire. Could be a coincidence, but then there is rule 39.

17. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Rule 39? I don't see how it applies here? :oops: