What's new

Username and Password invalid when trying to access AiMesh Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PT25

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I am using an RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.5_2 as my AiMesh router and 2 x DSL-AC68U's running 386.5_2-gnuton0 as AiMesh nodes. They work absolutely fine however since upgrading them all to the latest respective releases I am no longer able to log in to either node to change any settings. SSH doesn't work either. I get the 'invalid username/password' error. I have tried the main router password, and also the default AC68U 'admin/admin' and neither of those work. They function fine as WIFI nodes but I need to change some settings.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this, and more importantly how I can get access to the two nodes? I really, really, really don't want to have to reset them, as the only way to get all of this set up and working is to roll back the 86U to 386.2 and roll the nodes back to the same equivalent Gnuton as since anything later you are only able to add nodes using ethernet (DSL routers have no WAN etc).

Thanks in advance :)

In my use, I have never successfully logged into the AiMesh node with a password, but the SSH authorization key has always worked.

You can follow this tutorial to create SSH keys on your computer, then copy the public key (pub) string into the Authorized Keys input box of the router.

Restart the router and node, then you should be able to log into the node with that public key.

I have followed this, however I am stuck given that I cannot SSH to the node to add the public key. I am only able to SSH to the main router. Am I missing something?

Using PuTTY? input the node's IP, SSH port (same as your router), use your routers Admin ID and Admin PWD. Should get you to the command console in the node.

Using PuTTY? input the node's IP, SSH port (same as your router), use your routers Admin ID and Admin PWD. Should get you to the command console in the node.
When I do this using the exact same credentials as my main router (which work on the main router) it tells me that the username and password are invalid

I just upgraded from 386.5 to 386.5_2 and also lost ability to log in into my RT-AX58U router (but it's a regular one, no mesh around).
I did not set up SSH AuthKeys, so I lost the ability to log in completely.

Were you able to find any solution? Or factory reset is the only option?
Also I wonder what caused the issue, as I do not see any change mentioned in the change log?

I have followed this, however I am stuck given that I cannot SSH to the node to add the public key. I am only able to SSH to the main router. Am I missing something?
Sorry for the confusing reply before and late reply, you need to copy the public key to the Authorized Key input box of the main router, then restart the main and the node, the public key will be synced to the node, so you can log in using SSH node.

Please use reply, or @ me so I will be notified by email