What's new

VPN Service Settings on Router using Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

polarvista

Occasional Visitor
I have recently signed up for VPN service through Private Internet Access (PIA), and I am able to successfully browse/download using their Windows client software, with minimal drop in speeds (1.9Mbs dropped to 1.7Mbs). I am interested in setting up the VPN settings on the RT-N66U, once the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware has been flashed on the router. I am new to VPN but appreciate the wealth of information the forum contributors offer, so I wanted to see if the DD-WRT settings provided by the VPN service company would apply to the Asuswrt-Merlin build as well:

DD-WRT: VPN PPTP Setup

1. In DD-WRT, access the VPN tab found under the Services section.
2. Enable the PPTP Client.
3. Set the Server IP or DNS Name to us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com.
4. Set the MPPE Encryption to mppe required,no40,no56,stateless.
5. Enable NAT.
6. Enter your User name and Password.
7. If these steps do not work, please setup PPTP in the WAN section instead.

DD-WRT: VPN OpenVPN Setup

1. Access the Administration area and then go to Commands and finally Startup.
2. Enter the following:
echo username >> /tmp/password.txt
echo password >> /tmp/password.txt
/usr/bin/killall openvpn
/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf --route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh --down-pre /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh --daemon​
3. Access the VPN tab found under the Services section.
4. Enable the OpenVPN Client.
5. Set the Server IP/name to us-midwest.privateinternetaccess.com [*].
6. Set the Port to 1194.
7. Set the Tunnel Device to TUN.
8. Set the Tunnel Protocol to UDP.
9. Set the Encryption Cipher to Blowfish CBC (Default).
10. Set the Hash Algorithm to SHA1.
11. Set the nsCertType to unchecked.
12. Set the Advanced Options to Enabled.
13. Set Use LZO Compression to Enable.
14. Set NAT to Enable.
15. In the Additional Config enter the following:
auth-user-pass /tmp/password.txt
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server​
16. Copy and paste the contents of ca.crt found in our OpenVPN Config Files, into the CA cert field.

Would these settings and instructions work on the Asuswrt-Merlin build to enable either PPTP or OpenVPN on the RT-N66U router? I will have several mobile Android and iOS devices and a Macbook that will also need to connect to the router.

Thanks in advance!

Asuswrt-Merlin (and Tomato)'s OpenVPN is better integrated with the webui than DD-WRT. You should not need any custom script.

Look at the webui on the OpenVPN Client page, and simply set the settings there where appropriate. There is also a field there to enter the username and password - no need to store them into a file like they have to do on DD-WRT.

Only OpenVPN is supported. There is no PPTP VPN client in the firmware.

Thank you RMerlin very much. I have not yet set this router up (switching ISPs soon), but I am glad that my VPN service supports OpenVPN as does your custom firmware for this router. I really appreciate your helpfulness and fast response!

Asuswrt-Merlin (and Tomato)'s OpenVPN is better integrated with the webui than DD-WRT. You should not need any custom script.

Look at the webui on the OpenVPN Client page, and simply set the settings there where appropriate. There is also a field there to enter the username and password - no need to store them into a file like they have to do on DD-WRT.

Merlin,

I'm a bit confused, in the latest (375.39) firmware for the AC66U, there is a client for PPTP/L2TP - but, its very barebones, only entries for server/username/password - nothing for enabling/disabling encryption, NAT etc - is there a hidden page for these?.. or there really isn't any support for PPTP CLient?.

Thanks.
Riz

Merlin,

I'm a bit confused, in the latest (375.39) firmware for the AC66U, there is a client for PPTP/L2TP - but, its very barebones, only entries for server/username/password - nothing for enabling/disabling encryption, NAT etc - is there a hidden page for these?.. or there really isn't any support for PPTP CLient?.

Thanks.
Riz

The PPTP client is very basic. There's one or two undocumented options to enable, for example, mppe support, but that's about it.

People should threat PPTP as being legacy technology, being gradually phased out anyway.

Still struggling with Open VPN

Apologies for being slow, but I'm having trouble following these instructions for Private Internet Access. I have an ASUS RT-N66U router on which I've flashed the Merlin firmware (super easy, even for me). I can get to the Open VPN tab on the webgui, but it's a bit of mystery what I'm supposed to do next. I've tried to decode the PIA instructions for other routers but clearly am doing something wrong. Is there a complete, step-by-step set of instructions somewhere? Thanks much.

I'm still struggling with Open VPN also

I have an ASUS RT-N66U router on which I've flashed the Merlin firmware (super easy, even for me). I can get to the Open VPN tab on the webgui, but it's a bit of mystery what I'm supposed to do next. I've tried to decode the PIA instructions for other routers but clearly am doing something wrong. Is there a complete, step-by-step set of instructions somewhere? Thanks much.

Except I have an RT-AC66U. Please help