What's new

VPNMON vpnmon and kill switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fred84

New Around Here
When my VPN goes down and vpnmon-r2 v2.58 Executing VPN Reset the kill switch does NOT work. this can be duplicate by running “kill $(ops | grep [v]pnclient1 | awk '{print $1}')” I can see my IP from my ISP in my conky and ip chicken before the VPN is connected.

Asus RT-AC3100 Merlin 386.11

log from one time the VPN was down
Thu May 25 11:15:43 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 ----------> WARNING: Average PING of 196.941 ms across VPN tunnel 1 > 100 m> Thu May 25 11:15:43 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Executing VPN Reset Thu May 25 11:15:48 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Killed all VPN Client Connections Thu May 25 11:16:11 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN1 Client ON - Lowest PING of 1 VPN slots Thu May 25 11:16:15 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN Reset Finished Thu May 25 11:16:18 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Resuming normal operations Thu May 25 11:16:31 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - API call made to update WAN0 city to xxx Thu May 25 11:16:32 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - API call made to update VPN city to xxxx Thu May 25 11:21:20 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - API call made to update WAN0 city to xxx Thu May 25 11:21:22 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - API call made to update VPN city to xxxx Thu May 25 11:23:47 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 ----------> ERROR: VPN1 Ping/HTTP response failed Thu May 25 11:23:48 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 ----------> ERROR: VPN1 Connection failed - Executing VPN Reset Thu May 25 11:23:48 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Executing VPN Reset Thu May 25 11:23:53 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Killed all VPN Client Connections Thu May 25 11:24:06 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN1 Client ON - Lowest PING of 1 VPN slots Thu May 25 11:24:10 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN Reset Finished Thu May 25 11:24:13 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Resuming normal operations Thu May 25 11:24:26 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - API call made to update WAN0 city to xxx Thu May 25 11:24:27 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 ----------> ERROR: VPN1 Connection failed - Executing VPN Reset Thu May 25 11:24:27 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Executing VPN Reset Thu May 25 11:24:31 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Killed all VPN Client Connections Thu May 25 11:24:44 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN1 Client ON - Lowest PING of 1 VPN slots Thu May 25 11:24:48 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - VPN Reset Finished Thu May 25 11:24:51 DST 2023 - VPNMON-R2 - Resuming normal operations

thinks

When my VPN goes down and vpnmon-r2 v2.58 Executing VPN Reset the kill switch does NOT work. this can be duplicate by running “kill $(ops | grep [v]pnclient1 | awk '{print $1}')” I can see my IP from my ISP in my conky and ip chicken before the VPN is connected.

Let's see why this could be happening... glad to help, @fred84!

First question... how do you have KILLMON configured? Can you provide some screenshots?

Second question... what are the IPs of the devices on your LAN are making their way out after your VPN goes down?

Third question... could you please explain what this all means? " I can see my IP from my ISP in my conky and ip chicken before the VPN is connected."

Fourth question... are you using KILLMON, or are you talking about the killswitch option under the VPN client slot?

Fifth assumption... after reading this over again, I bet you're not using KILLMON. ;)

Last edited:
In this case, the likely reason your killswitch isn't working is because of this, per @RMerlin: "The recent change to only activate the killswitch if a client is in an error state is because with the previous implementation, a few users complained that stopping their client killed their entire Internet connection. Whichever way I decide to implement it, someone somewhere will complain that they want it working the other way around. So, I made a design decision to implement it the way it currently is, because this is what I felt is the most logical behaviour."

@Viktor Jaep

1. I am not using killmon just the killswitch option under the VPN client slot and it WORKS but not with VPNMON 2.58. it did work before 2.58.

2. all Ips when VPNMON 2.58 is running. But again the kill switch WORKS if VPNMON 2.58 is not running.

3. one of the things my conky on linux shows is my public IP that is how I know something was wrong.

4. yes I am talking about the killswitch option under the VPN client slot.

I just tried installing killmon and get this “KILLMON installation failed”?

thanks for helping.

@Viktor Jaep

1. I am not using killmon just the killswitch option under the VPN client slot and it WORKS but not with VPNMON 2.58. it did work before 2.58.
That's pretty strange... have you tried reverting to VPNMON 2.55? The thing is... VPNMON doesn't mess with iptables, the killswitch or anything... it just starts and stops the VPN client connection.

2. all Ips when VPNMON 2.58 is running. But again the kill switch WORKS if VPNMON 2.58 is not running.
I can't claim to understand how the built-in killswitch was designed to function... really, no clue. Perhaps the firmware doesn't find fault with the connection if you physically kill it while VPNMON is running?

3. one of the things my conky on linux shows is my public IP that is how I know something was wrong.
See #2 above...

4. yes I am talking about the killswitch option under the VPN client slot.
Well, there's many variables at play with this particular option... use at your own risk. The killswitch on these routers is of the SOHO flavor... in other words, not completely reliable.

I just tried installing killmon and get this “KILLMON installation failed”?
You can also install from within AMTM. Not sure what system is generating that error message... You could also try using this:

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/KILLMON/master/killmon-1.05.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/killmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/killmon.sh"

I don’t know how to revert back to 2.55? I would try it.

I tried installing killmon in amtm and got “KILLMON installation failed”. But the code you sent installed I am going to test it out and see how it goes.

Thanks for helping

I don’t know how to revert back to 2.55? I would try it.
Copy and paste into your SSH window... you can interchange between the two if needed. It just downloads and overwrites the /jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh file each time.

Old version (v2.55)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.55.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

Current version (v2.58)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/VPNMON-R2/master/vpnmon-r2-2.58.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/vpnmon-r2.sh"

I tried installing killmon in amtm and got “KILLMON installation failed”. But the code you sent installed I am going to test it out and see how it goes.

I actually just experienced the same issue. I found the issue in AMTM, and asked the author to please take a quick look at it. ;) That should be fixed pretty soon, but in the interim, feel free to run that curl statement I gave you earlier that references v1.05.

I think I got KILLMON working. That's good to know you can go back and forth between versions.

Thanks for all the help.
Good deal. @thelonelycoder also mentioned it should be working through AMTM again too. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!