What's new

WAN LAN throughput conundrum

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unmesh

Regular Contributor
Hi,

The hardware is a wireless router but the conundrum is around wired WAN <-> LAN performance hence I'm posting it here.

The Netgear R6300v2 was flashed with Tomato firmware and I had benchmarked it's NAT routing performance at around 800Mbps using iperf3 over Gigabit interfaces before deploying it as a gateway router with a measly 50/5 plan from Comcast/Xfinity. That benchmark is in the ballpark of what an old router chart on SNB shows.

This weekend, I updated it to a 600/15 plan and noticed that wired Gigabit devices on the LAN are only seeing sub-300Mbps download speeds when pointed to speedtest.xfinity.com whereas I do see 600 when connected directly to the modem.

Is iperf3 not representative of whatever these browser based speed tests do? Anything else to try before investing in a router with a faster SOC?

Thaks

Were you running the iperf tests between two devices connected to lan ports on the router or one on the wan interface and one on the lan interface ?

For the difference between the internet speed test, direct to the modem versus through the router, what, besides NAT / DHCP is running in the router ?

WAN and LAN ports :)

Only NAT and DHCP that I am aware of. Even if there was something else, it is the same in the test setup and when actually connected to the Internet.

Did you run the tests with the current Netgear firmware ? What was the result ?
Did you run the tests with the wireless radios disabled ? result ?

Since your direct connect to the modem test was much higher than through the router, you might ask Netgear what the maximum up/down throughput you should expect from the device. i could not find the spec on their support pages.

Wired throughput is rarely specified by the vendor but I will try it with the radios disabled

Since I don't use any feature compromised by CTF, I turned it on and am now getting the full throughput against the test website! Should probably look for a router with a faster CPU though.