What's new

WAN router with media server functions for PS3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maiky76

New Around Here
Hi,
I am looking for a LAN-Wan router for my new place. This is for familial use. I am no expert but can understand a thing or two about the settings... I have been a very happy user of an Airport Express (AE, g only) for 5 years now but I need something a bit more complete and up-to-date.

The main focus is the Upnp, DLNA and media file server (torrent included) compatibility for PS3. I have both g and n compatible devices (iPhones, iPads, laptops, Wii, PS3, AE for stream music) and the flat has two stories with concrete floors in between.

I have the following requirements:
- Stable!
- Stable!
- Good coverage
- must be n and g simultaneously compatible
- have at least 3 (PS3, HT amplifier, BD player + 1 spare would be great)
- VPN pass-though (I live in China so if the router as built in VPN client as well it would be great!)
- Upnp, DLNA and media file server capabilities
- USB port for HDD (internal works as well), NTFS or formatting allowing DL of files larger than 4Gb.
- Compatible with Wii in wireless (not that obvious)
- Torrent Client
- iTunes server
- can use my old AE for bridging and extending coverage upstairs
- Did I say Stable already?

Price is not really an issue if it stays under 300USD. I have the following suspects but I am really looking for people who could give their feedback when it comes to their multimedia capabilities especially when used with a PS3:
- Netgear WNDR3700v2
- Netgear WNDR4000
- ASUS RT-N56U
- Linksys E4200 (no torrent client)
- D-Link DIR-685 Xtreme N Storage Router
- ?

I understand that the order is tall so if there is any other solution (NAS mini PC server) I should consider instead, please do not hesitate to share your comments.
Cheers
Mickael

PS3 and Xbox360 are pretty picky when it comes to media servers. It's not enough that something supports DLNA. The only way to know is to try or find someone who has.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!