What's new

ASUS QOS does NOTHING! Help wanted [Rant]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damn, thank you for letting me know. I guess it doesn't matter how much money I throw at the issue, it won't be solved until I change to an actually good ISP rather than sticking to turd tier Virgin Media.
This is unlikely to be relevant and is a bit of a long shot but... navigate to your VM modem's web interface (http://192.168.100.1/) and click on "Check router status". Now go to Network Log. You should only be seeing the occasional DHCP warning and T3 time-out spread out over a few weeks. If you're seeing lots of hard errors, like "partial service", that's a more serious problem that needs to be fixed by VM.

This is unlikely to be relevant and is a bit of a long shot but... navigate to your VM modem's web interface (http://192.168.100.1/) and click on "Check router status". Now go to Network Log. You should only be seeing the occasional DHCP warning and T3 time-out spread out over a few weeks. If you're seeing lots of hard errors, like "partial service", that's a more serious problem that needs to be fixed by VM.
That's a really nifty suggestion, thank you. I'm going to check this after work. So if there's lots of time outs, does that mean there's a problem with the line like a dodgy cable or something?

That's a really nifty suggestion, thank you. I'm going to check this after work. So if there's lots of time outs, does that mean there's a problem with the line like a dodgy cable or something?
Yes, if there are lots of frequent errors it might indicate a line fault that needs to be fixed by a VM technician. TBH it doesn't sound like your problem but it's worth checking anyway.

Is there DOCSIS signal parameters information on VM modems? Downstream signal strength must be around 0dBmV, but -7dBmV to +7dBmV is within specs. I have line attenuator on my coax cable. My modem is too close to the amplifier.

Is there DOCSIS signal parameters information on VM modems? Downstream signal strength must be around 0dBmV, but -7dBmV to +7dBmV is within specs. I have line attenuator on my coax cable. My modem is too close to the amplifier.
EuroDOCSIS has different specs and even with that the acceptable signal levels are different depending on which make/model line card VM have installed locally.

Well explain how people use other routers without TrendMicro then? As far as I'm aware, no other router manufacturer like Netgear or TP-Link need to rely on a 3rd party company like TrendMicro.

For Netgear it's Bitdefender. Reference on page 9:

TP-link only provides a third generation firewall on there most expensive routers. They don't specify who develops and maintains it which is scary for security software that is extremally complicated to create and maintain. Asus and Netgear are doing the correct thing leaving this to a security company that invests to do the necessary security inelegance for a quality and up to date product. They provide effective updates quickly for zero day exploits and have a large lab that tests to avoid false positives which can take your off the network.

I suggest you continue asking questions as you clearly have a lot to learn.

Morris

I also find any online bufferbloat test unreliable. If you have Android devices, you can install the Pingmon app (is free), run it on your phone, then saturate the connection using another client (just run speedtest, for example), and see how pings change. If they are high, enter lower bandwidth values and retest.

Also note that your provider's speed may fluctuate a lot. If it falls below the bandwidth settings, you will get bufferbloat.