What's new

ASUS QOS does NOTHING! Help wanted [Rant]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What @jass recommended was actually good advice. You would need to substitute the actual upload/download bandwidth based on what you actually have, and follow the instructions.

Here's some other advice, @360NoScoper. It doesn't help dropping an expletive-laden rant into this forum, throwing a fit like a spoiled 5yr old, dropping F bombs, demanding that everyone better get their act together so that all your problems just go away with a magic QoS pill.

So not only are running an older, slower, unsupported router, you're not even running Merlin as you stated you're on stock FW. And yet you come into this forum demanding a fix? Get your ISP/bandwidth mess cleaned up first, get a modern supported router with Merlin and Cake on it, do your research and your own testing, and then come back to us with your issues.

And reading through this thread, you certainly don't seem to be very appreciative for others that are stopping what they're doing, to try to help you. I would be a bit more thankful for their advice and would really advise you to change your tone, and being about 1000% less hostile and argumentative.
His advice was not to experiment with download/upload speed but decrease mine to 25Mbit download and 5Mbit upload. Tried with different QOS settings... resulted in WORSE bufferbloat score than before. Therefore it was objectively bad advice...

Nowhere have I insulted anyone on this forum. I haven't broken any rules, so sit yourself down lad. I have a right to be frustrated about my current network experience.

Actually nowhere have I stated am I running on stock firmware, so get your facts rights. The router I was using when I made this post was the ASUS RT-SC66U_B1... running Merlin. Yes it's an old, slow router which I know now but it wasn't stock firmware.

I haven't been hostile at all, that's a weak interpretation of my replies. I'm simply frustrated and want to quickly and efficiently solve this issue. I've just upgraded to an RT-AX88U which is a fast, modern router. Has done nothing to help. I'm going to install Merlin on it and I hope CAKE actually does what it's supposed to and gives me a better bufferbloat score. As I'm getting frustrated with buying expensive electronics that make no difference.

No need to use it, but it's available with other routers. It's called HomeCare with TP-Link - the same TrendMicro engine:

Fair enough, thanks for letting me know.

resulted in WORSE bufferbloat score than before.

Online bufferbloat tests are often inaccurate. This is perhaps where your frustration is coming from. Do a ping test under load instead. You may be fighting with non existing issue. If your ISP line is good, there is no bufferbloat below line saturation speeds.

Online bufferbloat tests are often inaccurate. This is perhaps where your frustration is coming from. Do a ping test under load instead.
What makes them inaccurate? Yeah they're stress testing my connection more than most real world situations, but that's the point - it's a benchmark. It's the worst case scenario. If reducing my bandwidth too low results in the worse case scenario being even worse than before, then me downloading game updates and backing up data to iCloud whilst gaming isn't going to provide me with a better experience.

That's ridiculous advice. Not only are you asking me to reduce my bandwidth down significantly, to less than 15% of my available bandwidth - but after trying that it does absolutely nothing, in fact I achieve WORSE bufferbloat score if I reduce bandwidth too much.
If extremely low bandwidth values aren’t helping, then it’s possible all your bloat issues are outside your local network and nothing you do on your router will alleviate it. Cake is your last best chance.

His advice was not to experiment with download/upload speed but decrease mine to 25Mbit download and 5Mbit upload. Tried with different QOS settings... resulted in WORSE bufferbloat score than before. Therefore it was objectively bad advice...

Nowhere have I insulted anyone on this forum. I haven't broken any rules, so sit yourself down lad. I have a right to be frustrated about my current network experience.
Suit yourself... this would be insulting:
That's ridiculous advice. Not only are you asking me to reduce my bandwidth down significantly, to less than 15% of my available bandwidth - but after trying that it does absolutely nothing, in fact I achieve WORSE bufferbloat score if I reduce bandwidth too much.

So you are, or are not on stock firmware?? What router are we talking about?
Actually nowhere have I stated am I running on stock firmware, so get your facts rights. The router I was using when I made this post was the ASUS RT-SC66U_B1... running Merlin. Yes it's an old, slow router which I know now but it wasn't stock firmware.
Can you explain this then?
I don't have GeForce NOW or Cake, as I'm on stock firmware. I'm guessing my RT-AX88U won't be much different to your RT-AX86U, so Merlin should have the same options for it?

I haven't been hostile at all, that's a weak interpretation of my replies. I'm simply frustrated and want to quickly and efficiently solve this issue. I've just upgraded to an RT-AX88U which is a fast, modern router. Has done nothing to help. I'm going to install Merlin on it and I hope CAKE actually does what it's supposed to and gives me a better bufferbloat score. As I'm getting frustrated with buying expensive electronics that make no difference.
You absolutely have a right to be frustrated, but you certainly need to find a better way of expressing yourself, because what you're doing isn't helping anyone.

If extremely low bandwidth values aren’t helping, then it’s possible all your bloat issues are outside your local network and nothing you do on your router will alleviate it. Cake is your last best chance.
That's fair, I guess anyone who games should boycott Virgin Media then. They deserve to lose money due to their terrible gaming performance. Considering younger generations like myself are big into gaming, as we become the majority of customers - this will only become worse. The fact that many ISPs don't even care about latency just shows us all how much they care little about their network quality. If CAKE doesn't give me an A or better bufferbloat score, might just have to switch to BT FTTP. Screw Virgin Media honestly.

Last edited:
Suit yourself... this would be insulting:

So you are, or are not on stock firmware?? What router are we talking about?

Can you explain this then?

You absolutely have a right to be frustrated, but you certainly need to find a better way of expressing yourself, because what you're doing isn't helping anyone.
Saying something is ridiculous if it does in fact make my situation worse, is not an insult. Sounds like it was just blanket advice, that may or may not work depending on the persons setup.

The router this post was about was the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 with Merlin installed. I tried Bandwidth Limiter, Traditional QOS and Adaptive QOS. Slight improvements here and there but nothing significant from any of them. Still large latency spikes when I'm downloading games/backing up files to my iCloud/watching 4K Netflix whilst gaming.

Saying something is ridiculous if it does in fact make my situation worse, is not an insult. Sounds like it was just blanket advice, that may or may not work depending on the persons setup.
I think you need some help with your soft people skills, if you feel that way.
The router this post was about was the ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 with Merlin installed. I tried Bandwidth Limiter, Traditional QOS and Adaptive QOS. Slight improvements here and there but nothing significant from any of them. Still large latency spikes when I'm downloading games/backing up files to my iCloud/watching 4K Netflix whilst gaming.
So when you say "I don't have GeForce NOW or Cake, as I'm on stock firmware" on your AC66U, means that you're running Merlin? I can totally understand why communication is difficult for you now.

Wishing you much success getting your issues resolved so you may continue your low-latency gaming.

What does your Broadband Quality Monitor look like? You never showed us that.

It should look something like this for your VM connection:
6f2c51835d33679df4c6ace07710351344d4ae1e-05-02-2022.png

EDIT: Also post a screenshot of your Waveform results so that we can see what you're complaining about.

Last edited:
I think you need some help with your soft people skills, if you feel that way.

So when you say "I don't have GeForce NOW or Cake, as I'm on stock firmware" on your AC66U, means that you're running Merlin? I can totally understand why communication is difficult for you now.

Wishing you much success getting your issues resolved so you may continue your low-latency gaming.
Sorry I just woke up for my jobs late shift. I apologise for the confusion. My current router which is what I recently upgraded to: RT-AX88U is currently running stock firmware. But the router I made this post about, was the RT-AC66U_B1 which was running Merlin. I upgraded routers a few days after making this post. So when I asked that guy who showed screenshots of GeForce NOW/Cake, it was referencing my newly upgraded router - not the router this post was made about. Apologies for the confusion.

Listen... many people have gone outta there way to assist you. Even hinted or suggested your problem could be EXTERNAL (your ISP). + It probably didn't help much that with your original quest for answers you split this latency-issue into two threads. With the other thread being about Does the (66u) have CAKE.
Anyways like I suggested earlier in the other thread...
-You should have just disconnected your Asus router & connected a "wired-network cable" directly from your cable-modem to a PC & re-ran your bufferbloat tests.
If you can't get decent results like that...
The problem is outside of your control, & you would have to change your ISP.
If you notice less latency then...
Your BEST results would likely be obtained via using a router with CAKE.

EDIT: same as what ColinTaylor said (he sent that while I typed) LOL

Last edited:
And to clarify...
-Are those results Going through an Asus Router?
or
-On a PC connected directly to a Cable Modem? (That's what I wanna see...)
I cannot connect directly to the modem, until I have a day where my home is empty. It's the results with my new ASUS RT-AC88U connected.

While not terrible that's not particularly good. Post a screenshot of a "typical" Waveform result with QoS and AiProtection disabled.
Here is a picture of my Waveform Bufferbloat results from my work PC connected via Ethernet, with QOS and TrendMicro stuff disabled:

Attachments

• BF98F388-B7AD-48D6-B853-CC3DB985AADF.jpeg
    BF98F388-B7AD-48D6-B853-CC3DB985AADF.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 141
Here is a picture of my Waveform Bufferbloat results from my work PC connected via Ethernet, with QOS and TrendMicro stuff disabled:
You said in another thread "200 download, supposed to be 20 upload but it's 10 most of the time".

Unless that Waveform test was performed while someone else on your LAN was uploading a significant amount of data to the internet I'd say it confirms that 99% of your problem is your internet connection. In particular on the upload side. So as has been mentioned before no amount of QoS is going to improve that by any noticeable amount. Again, this looks like a typical over-subscribed Virgin Media connection (I've been there :().

You said in another thread "200 download, supposed to be 20 upload but it's 10 most of the time".

Unless that Waveform test was performed while someone else on your LAN was uploading a significant amount of data to the internet I'd say it confirms that 99% of your problem is your internet connection. In particular on the upload side. So as has been mentioned before no amount of QoS is going to improve that by any noticeable amount. Again, this looks like a typical over-subscribed Virgin Media connection (I've been there :().
Damn, thank you for letting me know. I guess it doesn't matter how much money I throw at the issue, it won't be solved until I change to an actually good ISP rather than sticking to turd tier Virgin Media.

I'll still experiment with CAKE on my RT-AX88U once I install Merlin. But it probably won't net me much improvement.