What's new

WDS Network what should I buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

werner69

New Around Here
Good morning.

I want to set up a WDS Network on our property and cannot decide which Router/Repeater/Bridge I shuld buy.

I already use the Asus RT-N66U in our other house and the quality is really perfect but I do not need WDS there.
In the other house I use TPLink with DD-WRT firmware which is ok and somehow stable. (3 routers WDS)

As the Asus RT-N66U also supports WDS I would like to use this one with original Firmware and because of Dualband. I know that you loose 50% Bandwith with WDS but I think (tell me if I´m right) that I can manage the WDS connection through the 5GhZ so that I do not loose that much Bandwidht?!? Am I right?? So I would go online through 2,4 GhZ.

There are 3 possible ways to set up my network (also see attached PDF file)

1) 1 big WDS network with 4 routers (one of them wired)
2) 2 different WDS networks, 2 routers each (connected via LAN)
3) 2 different WDS networks, first with one router and second with 3 routers.

I hope my english is understandable :) Does anyone know if and how it is possible with this hardware or any other suggestions?

THANK YOU,

Werner

Attachments

• WLAN_Network.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 213
The rule with WDS is you want to avoid multiple "hops". A hop is each time an AP receives, then retransmits. Each "hop" cuts your bandwidth in half.

For simultaneous dual band routers, like the N66U, yes, both radios connect to the same network. So you can use one radio as the WDS "backhaul" and the other to support client connection.

Make sure you assign static IPs to all routers in the same subnet as primary router so that you can reliably reach them for administration. Disable DHCP servers in all but the wired router, so that you don't have DHCP battles.

Thank you!

Do you think there is a way to handle it with only 1 Wireless Network (also they a wired) and the clients always change to the strongest one?

Does the RT-66nu support this features without flasing to dd-wrt or Tomato?

Which Router

I just wanted to order 3 RT-66NU Router and realized there is so many different ones. (from Asus)

Can I also tak e other ones or should I stay with this one?

Any suggestions? I need wider range and WDS....

Thank you

Good morning.

I want to set up a WDS Network on our property and cannot decide which Router/Repeater/Bridge I shuld buy.

I already use the Asus RT-N66U in our other house and the quality is really perfect but I do not need WDS there.
In the other house I use TPLink with DD-WRT firmware which is ok and somehow stable. (3 routers WDS)

As the Asus RT-N66U also supports WDS I would like to use this one with original Firmware and because of Dualband. I know that you loose 50% Bandwith with WDS but I think (tell me if I´m right) that I can manage the WDS connection through the 5GhZ so that I do not loose that much Bandwidht?!? Am I right?? So I would go online through 2,4 GhZ.

There are 3 possible ways to set up my network (also see attached PDF file)

1) 1 big WDS network with 4 routers (one of them wired)
2) 2 different WDS networks, 2 routers each (connected via LAN)
3) 2 different WDS networks, first with one router and second with 3 routers.

I hope my english is understandable :) Does anyone know if and how it is possible with this hardware or any other suggestions?

THANK YOU,

Werner
Why WDS? It's usually the coverage-enhancement solution of last resort. The usual way is using Access Points (APs) at well-chosen places. Connect each AP to the router via cat5, HomePlug or MoCA.