What's new

WDS Update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DroidST

Regular Contributor
Now running 380.59

In the past, I read here that Asus WDS (and Merlin) only supported WEP but now it appears it will now work with WPA2-Personal

Is this Correct?

If so, in what merlin version did this change?

Lastly, would it be a waste of my time to try to link my old Linksys WRT610N's and E3000's (DD-WRT v24 sp2) via WDS to my 68R?

I may just move my current 4 router WDS setup to another subnet behind my 68R for the time being as I plan for move to all Asus. Essentially, I had my backend running at 5GHz and clients at 2.4GHz but in the future will want to open up 5GHz to clients as well

Last edited:
The webui still states otherwise.

Code:
Note:The function only support [Open System/NONE, Open System/WEP] security authentication method.

thank you, I'll just place the current setup behind the 68R and migrate as I add new Asus Routers

The webui still states otherwise.

Code:
Note:The function only support [Open System/NONE, Open System/WEP] security authentication method.

Actually, my 68R doesn't have that note, I just checked the WDS Tab, it states:

Code:
Note: The function does not support [ WPA2-Enterprice, WPA-Auto-Enterprise ] security authentication method.

Has that Note for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

This is why I was assuming WPA2-Personal is supported.

Does anyone else see the above note?

I do see a bug, on the WDS Tab, I get
Code:
You are currently using the Auto channel bandwidth. Click Here to modify

Clicking brings back to the General Tab flashing the Channel bandwidth value, in my case set to 20/40 (2.4) and 20/40/80 (5).... but Wireless Mode not set to Auto

Last edited:
This is why I was assuming WPA2-Personal is supported.

Could possibly be model specific.

WDS with anything than Open or WEP will always be a hack. WPA2, by design, requires an automatic rotated encryption key. This can't work with WDS that requires a constant key. Some manufacturers have pushed hacks over the years to allow WPA2, but they most likely achieve this by removing the automatic key rotation, which in effects will reduce your security. So don't be fooled by it, WDS+WPA2 is not as secure as WPA2 normally is.