What's new

Whats the difference?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What the difference between a router set up as an AP or

a router in router mode with DHCP turned off and using the WAN port?

NAT, Routing, DNS relay, etc.

AP mode is basically a switch. Router mode is a router. DHCP is unrelated, that's an addon.

To put it another way, in AP mode the WAN and LAN ports are all the same and AP is essentially just another "port" in that same subnet (a subnet which is part of a router somewhere else in the network).

Router mode the LAN and WAN are different subnets with a router in the middle.

Last edited:
I’m hoping to make an AP a router.

Disable wan, run the router a fixed ip, disable dhcp, I have to learn more about nat I guess

You can't make an AP a router. You can make a router an AP by selecting "AP mode" which will disable all the routing, DHCP, NAT, etc.

Without selecting AP mode, and using the options available, can I make a router into an access point?, I guess that is my question.

If you plug into the LAN ports only and disable DHCP sure, the router stuff is still running but it won't do anything since the WAN isn't connected and whatever router is beyond it (connected to one of the LAN ports) will do DHCP etc.

Don't know why you'd want to do that though. There will be no firewall etc since you aren't using the WAN port so you'll just have a bunch of extra stuff running for no reason.

Why dont you want to run it in AP mode?

Thank you I’ll have to check that out

The idea is then to easily change the router that is acting like a access point, for replacement of my main router, which is as a gateway

We should come up with a new name for routers that are used as the gateway as compared to a router that used as a router

Thank you I’ll have to check that out

The idea is then to easily change the router that is acting like a access point, for replacement of my main router, which is as a gateway

We should come up with a new name for routers that are used as the gateway as compared to a router that used as a router

Router and gateway are the same thing in this context.

During initial setup of just about any home based router you can choose "router" or "access point". With Asus you can even change it anytime, and change it back whenever you want and most of your settings should still be there.

In my case, I was just trying to get the new and the old router on the same land, so that I can pair the screens to make sure that they are set the same before I install the new one permanently

That's what screenshots are for. 🙂

(PDFs, even better for copying/pasting).

In my case, I was just trying to get the new and the old router on the same land, so that I can pair the screens to make sure that they are set the same before I install the new one permanently

Put new router on the desk with no WAN connected, plug LAN directly into a PC, configure it, side by side in 2 web browsers (second PC connected to old router). You can use a temporary SSID or disable the wireless radios temporarily while you work on it.

Or use screen shots as suggested.

I’ll tell you though the directories and structure and files inside the old router get really got screwed up.

/opt/

This directory took the biggest hit. Files missing, and I can’t change the properties of the subdirectories. Eg 777

I’ll tell you though the directories and structure and files inside the old router get really got screwed up.

/opt/

This directory took the biggest hit. Files missing, and I can’t change the properties of the subdirectories. Eg 777
/opt is a soft link to an entware installation on an external USB drive. If those files are corrupted it's a problem with your USB drive, not the router.

That has nothing to do with setting up a new router.

/opt/

You should not be transferring any files over. If you're using USB with stuff installed, start from scratch there too with a new USB key (or ideally an SSD) as it sounds like yours is dead.

wow with a new UBS stick... getting errors.

I still think the old router has corrupted files?

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    27.6 KB · Views: 23