What's new

Which firmware for RT-N66R?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slickone

Occasional Visitor
I'm having a hard time deciding which firmware I should upgrade to for my RT-N66R. Which one should I use? It still has the Asus 3.0.0.4.380_3831 firmware. I'm not a big tweaker, else I probably wouldn't need to ask.

*latest Asus
*Merlin legacy 380.70
*john9527's latest fork (based on Merlin 374.43)

I'm having a hard time deciding which firmware I should upgrade to for my RT-N66R. Which one should I use? It still has the Asus 3.0.0.4.380_3831 firmware. I'm not a big tweaker, else I probably wouldn't need to ask.

*latest Asus
*Merlin legacy 380.70
*john9527's latest fork (based on Merlin 374.43)
@john9527 by far the better choice. 380.70 is a final release, never to be updated. John's fork is updated all the time. Asus stock f/w lacks features.

I agree with @skeal. John’s fork is a good choice and there will be future updates.

Thanks, guys. And the settings backup/restore will correctly transfer over settings to the new FW?
No. You'll have to manually set it up again. See the installation notes.
  • For supported routers currently running ASUS firmware 380.3000 or above, or Merlin 380.60 or above, you cannot load this fork using the built in firmware update web interface. You must use the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool from the ASUS support website or the built in CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware. You must always perform a factory default reset following the firmware update when moving from ASUS OEM or Merlin firmware above level 374 regardless if you updated via the web interface or Restoration Tool.
  • When using the ASUS Firmware Restoration Tool or CFE Mini-Web Server to install this fork firmware on MIPS based routers (N16, N66 or AC66 non_B1) the upgrade process can take from 40 minutes to 1 hour. Please be patient and do not interrupt the process.
  • If you need to perform a factory reset, you may use my NVRAM SAVE/RESTORE utility (check for the latest version) to transfer your user settings from your current firmware to this fork.
  • https://www.snbforums.com/threads/19521/
  • Users are reminded to have a jffs backup. For users with MIPS based routers, changes in the code image size may affect the jffs space. For users of ARM based routers, changes in the jffs partitioning may also affect the jffs allocations. If you are having jffs script errors or cannot access jffs after loading the firmware, please reformat jffs from the Administration page and restore your jffs backup.

No. You'll have to manually set it up again. See the installation notes.
To me, it's saying otherwise. Am I missing something?

"you may use my NVRAM SAVE/RESTORE utility (check for the latest version) to transfer your user settings from your current firmware to this fork."

To me, it's saying otherwise. Am I missing something?

"you may use my NVRAM SAVE/RESTORE utility (check for the latest version) to transfer your user settings from your current firmware to this fork."
I think we're talking about different things. What I meant was that you can't use the NVRAM Save and Restore options in the router's web interface (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

After installing John's firmware you need to perform a factory reset. After that you can either manually type in your settings again or use a separate utility that John has written to transfer your settings from your old firmware. If you use John's utility then obviously you have to use it to make the initial backup before installing the new firmware.