1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Which firmware for RT-N66R?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Slickone, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Slickone

Slickone New Around Here

I'm having a hard time deciding which firmware I should upgrade to for my RT-N66R. Which one should I use? It still has the Asus 3.0.0.4.380_3831 firmware. I'm not a big tweaker, else I probably wouldn't need to ask.

*latest Asus
    *Merlin legacy 380.70
    *john9527's latest fork (based on Merlin 374.43)

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

@john9527 by far the better choice. 380.70 is a final release, never to be updated. John's fork is updated all the time. Asus stock f/w lacks features.

scjr likes this.
  4. scjr

scjr Senior Member

I agree with @skeal. John’s fork is a good choice and there will be future updates.

5. Slickone

Slickone New Around Here

Thanks, guys. And the settings backup/restore will correctly transfer over settings to the new FW?

6. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

No. You'll have to manually set it up again. See the installation notes.

7. Slickone

Slickone New Around Here

To me, it's saying otherwise. Am I missing something?

"you may use my NVRAM SAVE/RESTORE utility (check for the latest version) to transfer your user settings from your current firmware to this fork."

8. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I think we're talking about different things. What I meant was that you can't use the NVRAM Save and Restore options in the router's web interface (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting).

After installing John's firmware you need to perform a factory reset. After that you can either manually type in your settings again or use a separate utility that John has written to transfer your settings from your old firmware. If you use John's utility then obviously you have to use it to make the initial backup before installing the new firmware.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!