What's new

Why this wireless setup doesn't work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tennoh

New Around Here
I'm perplexed at trying to get a certain wireless N setup with an AP and bridge device that is not working. I'm wondering what I'm not getting. Scenario is I have 2 different ISPs, DSL and cable, being routed through 2 different routers on the same network subnet. I have a DHCP server that provides DHCP clients all the relevent info to connect to the cable router. I access the DSL router through static addresses for specific computers. Each router are physically separated but bridged over Homeplug AV. I've decided to try and replace the powerline with wireless N to get better throughput for HD streaming on some clients.

Thought everything would be simple, setup an AP and a bridge, and it'll work like my powerline setup. Not so. All connections, either wired or wireless, that connect through the AP device cannot access the Internet through the router located on the bridge side. I can get to the router itself but not out. On the router diags, I can ping external domains fine.

clientsA <-> RouterA(cable) <-> bridge_N <-> wireless <-> AP_N <-> RouterB(DSL) <-> clientsB

ClientsA can get on the Internet either on RouterA or B.

ClientsB can only get on Internet on RouterB. They can access/ping RouterA however.

This is reversible. The router on the bridge end never allows clients on the AP to get on the Internet. DHCP service is providing to all clients ok. There is only 1 DHCP service running as well so no conflict there.

The only way I can get wireless scenario working is if I keep my powerline and have RouterA and RouterB going to the AP.

I've tried different products for the AP, Linksys WRT400/DLink DIR-825/DLink DAP-1522 in AP mode. The bridge is always a DAP-1522 in bridge mode.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!