What's new

Will Belkin F5D8235-4 work for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

expertradioflyerdriver

Occasional Visitor
I want to set up a wireless connection to the internet for my computer. The network cable from my computer running on top of my carpet from my bedroom down the hall through middle of living room is not visually impressive to visitors.

The cable access in my one level condo is in the living room only. On the other side of that wall I have a wood kitchen cabinet. I am going to put wireless router in the kitchen cabinet. I am going to punch the cable and electrical through the wall into the cabinet and make the connection in the cabinet so the wireless router will be completely out of sight.

The sales guy at my local Microcenter store recommended Belkin N+ Wireless F5D8235-4 -- $80. It seemed to get a good review in the “Cheap Draft 802.11n Router Roundup”. (That review did Belkin F5D8233-4 I assume is the same) He said the D-Link DIR-825 would be unnecessary or I would be paying for more than I need. (D-Link DIR-825 in store pricing is $99 till end of month. Best price in nation I could find just down the road!!)

The wireless signal must blast through the back side of the kitchen wood cabinet and three walls. All on one level. The walls are the normal drywall sheet wall with minimal if any insulation since it is an inside wall. The computer is against the farthest wall. Total distance through the walls from computer to wireless router is 34 feet.

My Question 1: Will the Belkin N+ Wireless F5D8235-4 do the job blasting though all those walls?

My Question 2: The salesman also said a $25 card for desktop is just as good as any other more expensive card. Is this good advice for my situation (I assume it is a N card)?

Basic internet usage. Carbonite Backup, email, bank, data stream for investment software, general web searching. I do not hosting anything or run a server, no VPN, just basic stuff.

Background info: Desktop AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD Acer (AM3100-U3201A) purchased new February 2008 -- 32-bit MS Vista Home Premium SP2 -- MS auto updates on. Comcast ISP 12mbps service W\ Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Last edited:
The Belkin should work for your requirements, as would most any other router, N or G. But you should not put it inside a closed cabinet. You'll just be putting one more signal-reducing barrier between it and your client. Best placement is in the open and as high as possible.

I'd get a USB adapter vs. a card for your computer. The USB adapter can be put on a cable for more flexibility in signal capture.

Thank you for your comments.

I am in a bad position to implement your suggestions. The only cable outlet is in the most visible, prominent place in my condo. Having a router there for everyone to see when anyone walks in looks bad to me. My cabinet solution makes things look good. How much will my router in the cabinet plan slow my internet connection? Would a better router (D-link DIR-825) improve my performance?

The problem with the USB adapter solution is “Windows Mobile Device Center” syncing my HP iPAQ RX3115 conflicts with anything else plugged into a USB port. Would I get the same performance from a external antenna? Also, I thought USB does not have the speed (ping times) and throughput of a card? I really do not know much about USB throughput.

Comments, advice?

Thank you for your help.

Bob

Can you put the router on top of the cabinet? Or the side? What about getting a router based on it's aesthetics? Or routing the antennas outside the cabinet (if you do so, you'd have to use different router, most n routers don't have detachable antennas due to MIMO).

It's just not a good idea to place something which is susceptible to interference in a default position with more interference. You could always try both in and outside the cabinet and see if outside gets you a significant performance boost.

How much will my router in the cabinet plan slow my internet connection? Would a better router (D-link DIR-825) improve my performance?
The only way to know is to try it. I'm not saying that it won't work in the cabinet. But if it doesn't work, or is slow, putting it in a cabinet will be a contributing factor.

The problem with the USB adapter solution is “Windows Mobile Device Center” syncing my HP iPAQ RX3115 conflicts with anything else plugged into a USB port. Would I get the same performance from a external antenna? Also, I thought USB does not have the speed (ping times) and throughput of a card? I really do not know much about USB throughput.
I don't know what you mean by "external antenna". I'm advising against an internal PCI-type card because your antenna usually ends up pretty low if your computer is under your desk. If it's on the desktop and pointing toward where the router is, it's probably ok.

I'm just trying to give you pointers that will provide the best performance. You can also use a bridge like the D-Link DAP-1522 or Linksys WET610N and connect via Ethernet.

Would powerline networking work? I do not know anything about it. The mobility benefits of a wireless network I do not need. There are 70 condo units in my building. Would that be a security risk to me?

I have my computer is on top of my desk so I can get at it. That should help. I am going to try what the sales guy is going to sell me. He said I can bring it back if I do not like it. If I can get 12mbps I will be very satisfied.

Thank you for your kind help and comments. I will keep you posted on how things turn out.

Bob

You should definitely be able to get 12 Mbps from powerline networking. Make sure you buy a kit that is HomePlug AV certified and has a pair of adapters. If you're worried about security, you can input a security key and some adapters even have security buttons you can push to make it even easier.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Belkin N+ Wireless Router pretty stable and does do a good job covering the area you want to cover using it. Today I use two Belkin N+ in 802.11N mode only. Signal is very strong from the second floor to the basement where both of them are located on. I live in older home so that's why I use two of them. If you just have a newer home with drywall then you just need the one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!