What's new

Will my choice meet my needs? Double checking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I have come to the conclusion that I am going to buy a Synology 2 bay NAS - more than likely the DS211+. I am going to list my client's needs and verify that I am picking something that meets/exceeds them. I am doing this to make certain that I am not overlooking something that should be considered.

NAS will be used to replace a simple WinXP system that was used as:

file storage - backup of 2 to 5 Windows-based systems

file serving - templates/configuration files for AutoCAD 2006 stencils, current projects that multiple users will access, etc.

possible future print serving

possible future USB storage expansion

Additional requirements:

Redundancy - RAID 1 will be used

Ease of Administration (KISS operation for end user)

Best bang for the buck (budget is $400 - $600 max)

Does this solution fit the needs? Is there anything that I may not have considered based upon the requirements?

missing: backup.
NAS box needs eSATA or USB3 or some such, to do a backup. And perhaps take that drive offsite, or have two and rotate.
I elected to use the DS211, cheaper, exceeds my needs.
$300 for NAD, one 2TB I already had; bought a 2nd when they were semi-cheap. These are run as separate volumes rather than RAID, with vol1 backed up to vol2 using NAS utility, plus the NAS' time machine type backup (versioning).
External USB3 drive for backup - formatted as NTFS so I have no hassle getting files if needed.

Last edited:
My only comment is be careful with assuming your printer will work. Try to find a list of supported printers that Synology supports.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!