What's new

Windows PC WiFi - latency and packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deepskydiver

Occasional Visitor
The issue is that latency will increase and some packet loss will creep in, visible in a traceroute. Other PCs on the network don't experience the issue.

Windows 10 PC
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Asus Prime X570-Pro/CSM AM4 ATX Motherboard

I have swapped in another wireless adapter in case it had an effect - it didn't. The problem occurs with both:
ASUS PCE-AX3000 Dual Band WiFi 6 Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless OR
TP-Link AC1200 Wireless PCIe Adapter

Here's what I've tried:

- disconnecting the VPN (router based)
- disconnecting and reconnecting the network
- connecting to another wireless network (strength always between 50 and 60dba) (2.4 and 5Ghz)
- disabling and re-enabling the network card
- restarting the router and modem
- swapping in a new wifi card
- resetting varous network settings as below:

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

The only way the problem is solved is restarting the machine. It's clearly an issue on my PC - any ideas what else I can try?

Thank you!

Once you go outside your local network, there are many things out of your control that can cause the problem you are seeing.

Where in the tracert are you seeing high latencies and what are the values?

If you want to rule out your Wi-Fi, try pinging your router's LAN IP address for 30 seconds or so when you see responsiveness start to degrade, instead of running the tracert.

What router are you using?

I can't recall perfectly though I believe the packet loss and latency increase was across all hops. I will try pinging the router next time.

The router is an ASUS AC2900, though when I bypass it and connect to the modem WiFi the result is sadly similar.

Connect with Ethernet if you can when you run your next tests.
Where in the tracert that latency and packet loss increase is important to know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!