What's new

Windows XP vs Windows 7 gigabit transfer speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

equalizer

New Around Here
I have an Intel quad core Q6600 and a dual core E7300 with XP and XP pro. Have Intel gigabit PCI NIC and a RealTek on board PCIexpress gigabit NIC. Transfer speed is horrible 18-20MB/sec. I had tried jumbo frames, adjusting window size, etc with no change. 1GB file tranfers in 50-55sec.

I just installed Windows 7 on second partition on both PCs with default settings. Super easy install BTW. Anyway transfer speed with same hardware is 50-70MB/sec! Will have to replace PCI NIC with PCIX NIC to see if I can get 80-90MB/sec speed. 1GB file transfers in less than 20 secs, 500MB file in 7 secs. Only difference is XP vs 7. Are there other settings in XP that could account for that?

Last edited:
I assume that Win7 has the same file copy improvements as Vista SP1 and probably more. There are no tweaks that I know of that you can do in XP to get equivalent performance. See How To Build a Really Fast NAS - Part 6: The Vista (SP1) Difference.

Thanks Tim I have read most of your articles on this topic. I didn't see XP -XP testing. Can you or anyone else confirm that fastest XP-XP transfer speeds? Tim, can you point me to a NAS review where you compared XP with Vista?

This might help... http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1802

In my own testing I average around 60 MB/sec for XP to XP file copies using standard drag and drop. I think your hardware should be capable of similar speeds. I recommend changing to a large system cache on both the client and server for the best performance with XP. Along with that ensure that the latest network drivers are installed.

I have actually spent quite a bit of time digging into why Vista is better than XP at network file copies. I have come to the conclusion that XP's file copy engine is to blame. It is basically single threaded and only keeps one read/write in flight at a time. (it was designed that way) Whereas Vista's (and most likely Win 7) file copy engine is multithreaded and keeps about four reads/writes in flight at one time. While this is not the only change I believe it is the main reason for the difference in performance. To actually test this conclusion I wrote a program that copies a file similar to how Vista does. For more information about my program take a look here.

00Roush