What's new

Wireguard and fw 3.0.0.4.388.20000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wifi 6E means you need three radios. That`s not something you`ll find in a middle range product, that extra radio + extra amps + extra antennas add to the cost.
Thanks, even if I didn't specifically mention 6E. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but most consumer electronics gain features and generally stay at nearly the same price, or even trend down over time. The home/consumer AIO router market has been defying that lately.

And even that trend will soon turn around too.

Look at PC prices. Look at GPU prices. Nothing stays the same for long. But the trend (mega-view) is it will continue creeping upward, of course.

I'm kind of new to this. Do we know which routers will get 388? I just bought a TUF Gaming AX5400 and would like to get Wireguard on it. OpenVPN performance on it is pretty poor, just 40-50mbps.

I'm kind of new to this. Do we know which routers will get 388? I just bought a TUF Gaming AX5400 and would like to get Wireguard on it. OpenVPN performance on it is pretty poor, just 40-50mbps.
Asus hasn't announced the list yet. Personally I would expect the majority of their Wifi 6 routers to get it, except maybe the very low end.

Is there a way to download a beta version of the 388 firmware?
There's currently no public beta firmware beside the outdated RC3 builds from last year.

Asus just updated the Asus firmware page, seems like the new firmware will be called ASUSWRT 2022: https://routerkb.asuscomm.com/?page_id=9 (Funny thing: That page can not be viewed with USA ip address, if I use a mexican or swiss ip address can see it without any problem:

Asuswrt1.jpg

Asuswrt.jpg

As mentioned earlier only three routers can support it: ZenWiFi XT9, RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AXE7800.

Asus just updated the Asus firmware page, seems like the new firmware will be called ASUSWRT 2022: https://routerkb.asuscomm.com/?page_id=9 (Funny thing: That page can not be viewed with USA ip address, if I use a mexican or swiss ip address can see it without any problem:

View attachment 42929

View attachment 42928

As mentioned earlier only three routers can support it: ZenWiFi XT9, RT-AX86U Pro and RT-AXE7800.
Wow, profound marketing mistake in this day and age to tie a product name to a year: especially given that more than half of that year is now past and the associated products still aren't quite out yet.

Wow, profound marketing mistake in this day and age to tie a product name to a year: especially given that more than half of that year is now past and the associated products still aren't quite out yet.

I appreciate your point but in this case, I'd say the product name is still Asuswrt and 2022 Asuswrt simply date stamps the new build level... they're confident it will be released this year. Works for me although probably not until 2024, by the time they work out the kinks. :)

OE

View attachment 42929

View attachment 42928

That is a very interesting read thanks.

What amazes me is that few (if any) major router manufacturers have implemented Cake or really tried to deal with buffer bloat. While people demand security and stable wifi, smooth and bloat-free performance is also key. Many non-technical people complain about their internet connection being rubbish when in fact they suffer from buffer bloat as they max out their bandwidth. I know connection speeds are generally increasing, but it will be a very long time until everyone has the speeds needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!