What's new

Wireguard Wireguard GUI on my asus merlin router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ricklndn

New Around Here
So I have successfully got wireguard working on my router RT-AX86U with merlin via ssh.

My question is when will merlin start building a GUI ? This month? Next month?

I think it will be a lot more easier for everyone.

So I have successfully got wireguard working on my router RT-AX86U with merlin via ssh.

Not anytime soon. First Asus will have to finalize their actual implementation, which won't be for at least quite a few weeks. Only after that I will be able to begin work on the webui for my firmware, which will also take a few weeks.

Not anytime soon. First Asus will have to finalize their actual implementation, which won't be for at least quite a few weeks. Only after that I will be able to begin work on the webui for my firmware, which will also take a few weeks.
Ok great, thank you.. I can wait! I was just hopping it wouldn't take another 8 months,.sounds like it could be sooner.
Thanks

To me, 8 months + sounds about right (we are depending on Asus, after all).

Hi,

Happy to hear that you manage to set it up.
A little bit off topic: Could you please share a procedure to succeed?

Thank you in advance,
amplatfus

Did you installed through entware or with new kernel module from latest v386.4 firmware?

Did you installed through entware or with new kernel module from latest v386.4 firmware?
I have done both the Entware installed module/tools and the latest module/tools from v386.4

Both work fine. I have 2 clients and a site to site setup.

Right now I am using @Martineau add-on (wg_manager). It installs via AMTM and takes care of setting up iptables and some firewall rules. Wireguard‘s .conf files are pretty easy to setup. The trick is setting the proper iptables rules and getting the server peer (router) to correctly start at boot time.
For now, wg_manager handles all that.
Also, wg_manager will let you select either the Entware modules, a few precompiled modules done by @ZebMcKayhan that aren’t available in Entware, or the module now provided by Asus in the latest firmware.

It's already available on the ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) so I guess it's just a matter of time before it arrives on the AX-86 and others.
That's the same public beta furmware that has been available for multiple different models for months already (see the 9.0.0.4 version string).

Wireguard is not available outside of beta yet.

Thank you so much for this ROM. I appreciate you and all the work you put into it.

Do you have a link to how to configure it with SSH?

Also, wg_manager will let you select either the Entware modules, a few precompiled modules done by @ZebMcKayhan that aren’t available in Entware, or the module now provided by Asus in the latest firmware.
This is where I start to glaze over in terms of understanding...and I have to start earlier in the day to flex those muscles properly to finally conquer my internal blockage

This is where I start to glaze over in terms of understanding...and I have to start earlier in the day to flex those muscles properly to finally conquer my internal blockage
With wg_manager, you dont have to understand it. It was made so you could keep your muscles relaxed and give in to the easy-life, were no internal blockage exists.
:D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!