What's new

Wireless n router, gigabit network and ADSL2+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

l:x

New Around Here
I'm looking for a wireless router (n-draft) with gigabit lan ports and ADSL2+ modem.

Strangly I can only find wireless routers with 10/100 Mbit ethernet ports.

Anyone knows about a model that contains all this technologies?

(I can buy a wireless router with gigabit ports and a seperate ADSL2+ modem, but I would like one device for it all)

I was looking for the Netgear DGND3300, but I don't think it has gigabit ports... Maybe it's successor will have them.

Last edited:
Closest I know of is the Draytek 2820N, but oddly enough it has one Gigabit LAN port and 3 standard 10/100 LAN ports. I dont know why they cheaped out on adding 4 Gigabit ports.So even with this you would need an external switch still, if you need to add more than one gigabit device to the LAN.

If you are in the UK see http://www.seg.co.uk/. In the US, I'd recommend http://guideband.com/ which is a good seller - there are a couple other authorized places that sell Draytek in the US, but I have had bad experiences at one of them and dont know the others,

I have the DGND3300 and the ethernet ports are indeed 10/100. I'd be rather amused to know exactly what the device does with Wireless-N traffic arriving at 270MBps since it can't go to the ethernet or DSL ports that fast, and if sending to another wireless device then they'd have to share the bandwidth and would be lucky to get 100MBps each.

There may also be some confusion over exactly what this device is. It is first and foremost an expensive plastic box with a large number of coloured LEDs most of which flicker a lot. You can disable the obnoxious centre ones by pressing the button but they come back on again with a reboot/power failure. As a bonus feature it is also a DSL modem and wireless router :)

It does save on the number of boxes, cables and power adapters. However be aware that the DSL is builtin as the external access - if you dropped DSL for a cable modem then there is no 'Internet' port on it - you would only be able to use it as an access point (ie no NAT, no firewall etc)

In the bad old days these kind of devices used to do a reboot on every settings change. Nowadays they don't but then you find some functionality doesn't work right until a reboot - always a fun problem to diagnose. This device suffers that exact problem with port forwarding (aka "services" in Netgear speak). However after that reboot everything has worked well and none of my services have been messed with (a nasty affliction I found on a Trendnet device).

You can't have services use a different external vs internal port. However you can run a uPNP client to setup and refresh mappings that do use different ports.

It does have denial of service and port scan detection. The latter works in my testing. I am somewhat suspicious of the DOS detection since it is a very fine line between lots of traffic and a DOS attack. Both are on or off together unfortunately.

The DHCP server is the usual basic thing. You can't set extra options such as PXE boot servers.

The device runs Linux and there is only one firmware currently available. If you add setup.cgi?todo=debug to the URL then you can enable a debug mode which then lets you telnet in to a busybox shell.

Some stats:

• Linux kernel 2.6.21.5
  • System Broadcom 6358 (MIPS derivative)
  • 300 BogoMIPS (can't tell if processor is 150MHz or 300MHz)
  • 32MB of RAM
  • 8MB flash
  • Broadcom 5325e switch
  • Broadcom BCM4318 a/b/g and BCM4322 n wireless controllers

Using a Kill-a-Watt I measured power consumption as 7W with only 2.4GHz on and 8W with both 2.4 and 5GHz on.

The PDF manual shows all the web interface screens.

Did you find an ADSL 2 Modem/ Wireless N router with 4 x GigaBit ports yet?
I have been looking for months and months to find one, hoping "someone" has done it.... come on Hardware Providers... get with the program!!
I want Gigabit connection to my NAS and then N to my laptop and Internet!!
Currently running Dlink DIR 655 + ADSL 2 Modem... an extra device for no good reason!

I know about the netgear 3500b and one from Billion. Any idea how good the netgear is? Lan transfer, jumbo support...

I know about the netgear 3500b and one from Billion. Any idea how good the netgear is? Lan transfer, jumbo support...
Netgear, and more so D-Link, in my opinion and experience is not top-tier and each has some good, but many badly designed products. Other manufacturers are, IMO, the flip- rarely have bad ones.

Currently I have a Dlink DIR 655, its running fine, but I have to have an extra modem...thats why I try to find one device.