What's new

Wireless not working after awhile

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pergola Fabio

guys, i have a rt-ac86u, about a month, always on stock firmware (latest)
since yesterday i decided to upgrade to merlin, 384.7 , all was working fine

today i came home, seems my laptop was unable to connect to the wifi 5ghz; i still saw it broadcasting though...
lan cable was still working fine

i decided to reboot, so open up the webinterface of the asus, clicked on reboot, but the router turned off instead.... ?
so unplugged the outlet, plugged back in, and router started up

is there a know issue on that firmware? i hate this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am.on same boat... This is bran new router that i got from Amazon two days ago. I didn't even run stock and went straight to Merlin 384.7. It worked fine for first day now I am even seeing drops on 2G and terrible speed. Although 5G is strong. It did reboot on me as well. I am guessing it's a bug on the latest version. What made you switch? I am wondering if I should just go back to stock. Was stock stable for you?

well, 1 day later, on 348.7 , i saw this time my chromecast was disconnected from 5 ghzi
i saw it connected, but not pingable, and not configurable
my laptop was this time connecting to 5ghz

so rebooted router again, and chromecast was back
this is the only device on my 5ghz

also never had issues before running on stock

can you downgrade back to stock without loosing settings?

edit: yes, stock was stable for me

well, 1 day later, on 348.7 , i saw this time my chromecast was disconnected from 5 ghzi
i saw it connected, but not pingable, and not configurable
my laptop was this time connecting to 5ghz

so rebooted router again, and chromecast was back
this is the only device on my 5ghz

also never had issues before running on stock

can you downgrade back to stock without loosing settings?

Yes downgrade should not take away your settings. However, I would back up the settings so you can restore under administration. I might go back to stock as well.

You also have the issue that you can't connect to 5ghz anymore or that if you are connected , you can't ping or connect to other wifi devices on that same wifi band?

Gonna test tomorrow the 2.4 band, I just rebooted it

Well, I am browsing the other forum .with official firmware, and noticed the last Asus firmware 32799 included wifi stability fixes... Maybe those fixes are not yet in this Merlin?

Well, I am browsing the other forum .with official firmware, and noticed the last Asus firmware 32799 included wifi stability fixes... Maybe those fixes are not yet in this Merlin?

Correct. Asus hasn't released the source code to it, and they advised me to wait for the next release instead as there were apparently other issues still present in 32799.

i was running 32799 , wifi stable, then upgraded 348.7
not tried alpha yet, but seems alpha doesnt include wifi fix also
so therefore i am going back to 32799

Correct. Asus hasn't released the source code to it, and they advised me to wait for the next release instead as there were apparently other issues still present in 32799.
Thank you for the update, Eric.

Do you think Asus will give you the source for next update fairly quickly, if they release it soon?

So what version are running on your AC86U?

I'm using an RT-AC88U as my main router, since I must dedicate the AC86U to development purposes for that platform.

Do you think Asus will give you the source for next update fairly quickly, if they release it soon?

They gave me an ETA for the firmware release, and that's all I know. Whether they release the GPL code at the same time or only later is up to them, and outside of my control. Sometimes I get the GPL code the same day, other times it takes days or weeks. Preparing the GPL release requires a fair amount of work on its own, so I assume it depends on their engineer's available time to prepare them.

They gave me an ETA for the firmware release, and that's all I know. Whether they release the GPL code at the same time or only later is up to them, and outside of my control. Sometimes I get the GPL code the same day, other times it takes days or weeks. Preparing the GPL release requires a fair amount of work on its own, so I assume it depends on their engineer's available time to prepare them.
Just one more question.

With what Asus told you about their recent firmware, will that impact the development of the current alpha with GPL’s 32738 and 32797 merged?

Thanks!

Just one more question.

With what Asus told you about their recent firmware, will that impact the development of the current alpha with GPL’s 32738 and 32797 merged?

I currently have no established timetable or development plan for 384.8, so for now the window remains open for merging new GPLs. I don't know enough about what will be part of Asus' next release to tell if it will be realistic to merge it into 384.8, or if it will have to be postponed to 384.9 due to complexity or lateness. For now, my concern is with other things than this future GPL merge.

guys, i have a rt-ac86u, about a month, always on stock firmware (latest)
since yesterday i decided to upgrade to merlin, 384.7 , all was working fine

today i came home, seems my laptop was unable to connect to the wifi 5ghz; i still saw it broadcasting though...
lan cable was still working fine

i decided to reboot, so open up the webinterface of the asus, clicked on reboot, but the router turned off instead.... ?
so unplugged the outlet, plugged back in, and router started up

is there a know issue on that firmware? i hate this :)

Have you tried Merlin's 384.8-Beta2 yet? If so, how is your wireless now?

- NEW: Merged with GPL + binary blobs from 384_32799 (all
supported models except RT-AX88U)

hi, i am now on stock
stable now, with some extra tweaks

I also have issue with google streaming devices, chromecast, android tv and chromecast etc. I can only use the latest official 32799 with smart connect disabled for a stable connection. I tried Rmerlin's previous 384.8 beta 1, which is much better for QOS and SMB performance, but I notice temporary drop outs not only to the google devices but it also stops downloads ( I have to manually resume them) on my wired machine.
I tried using traceroute, but I'm not able to accurately time the drop outs.

I also have issue with google streaming devices, chromecast, android tv and chromecast etc. I can only use the latest official 32799 with smart connect disabled for a stable connection. I tried Rmerlin's previous 384.8 beta 1, which is much better for QOS and SMB performance, but I notice temporary drop outs not only to the google devices but it also stops downloads ( I have to manually resume them) on my wired machine.
I tried using traceroute, but I'm not able to accurately time the drop outs.

i also had dropoffs from google devices, laptops, below are my settings for wfi band, after changing those, wifi was stable!
in beginning, after 1 day power on router , i wasnt able to connect it anymore (wif)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fmwjymlrtp5zwz/2.4 asus settings.jpg?dl=0

I'm going to try his beta2 which I have already loaded on a brand new RT_AC86U. Going to do a Restore/Initialize and configure.

I have 3 google home mini's, Amazon Alexa devices and mix of normal things - I'll see if I experience any of the issues in this thread.