What's new

Randomly losing 5 Ghz wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sdfgsd

New Around Here
i Just moved the router 1m and in the process disconnected the power adapter and now i can't get 5ghz wifi back on line even though it says it's up and running but none of the devices see it.

I upgraded to 386.12 and then downgraded back to 386.11 and it's still not showing up ...

what just died ?

RT-AC88U

Ah, didn't know that, thanks!

I have it set on Auto but not DFS .. it's not a very congested area so i could fix it to channel 44, would that be better ?

1694255841615.png

Ah, didn't know that, thanks!

I have it set on Auto but not DFS .. it's not a very congested area so i could fix it to channel 44, would that be better ?

View attachment 52951

It is impossible to avoid DFS channels if you have 160mhz enabled and active. Set it to 20/40/80 with 160 unchecked and see how it performs (with DFS unchecked still). That will pick a control channel like 44 but it won't use extension channels in DFS space.

Trying to use 160 is a major headache for most, especially if you are in range of radar (which most people are). Besides the delays and dropouts, it reduces your range and in some cases can actually give you worse throughput than 80. If about 700-800M (2 stream AX 80mhz) is not enough, time to start looking at AXe or BE, or 3/4 stream clients (but since most phones and laptops only have 2 antennas, that isn't an option for many devices).

For most, auto channel is best, but if you want to hardcode it, test a few different ones outside of DFS and hardcode to whatever performs best, but keep in mind tomorrow, it may be slow and you have to find a different one, and repeat that frequently.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. I have disabled the 160 Mhz and the init appears faster now. I upgraded firmware back to the latest, 386.12 and once rebooted, the 5ghz wifi came online immediately. I will leave it at auto channel for now, see how it behaves but this is a rural area so i don't expect many things to change frequently.

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!