What's new

Wireless printer for a LAB of 15 nodes(machines)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drstrange

New Around Here
Hello, I have a question regarding wireless printing.
I have been asked by my church to set up a lab to the internet. I have 15 machines running on ethernet cablings out of 2 8-port switches.
My question is, They would like to have me install a wireless printer so that they can print . Now typically I would just hook up a wireless printer. However, if I have 2 8 port hub switches already cabled into 15 machines. How do I pull this off?

Can anyone help suggest.
thank you.

Chris

Hello, I have a question regarding wireless printing.
I have been asked by my church to set up a lab to the internet. I have 15 machines running on ethernet cablings out of 2 8-port switches.
My question is, They would like to have me install a wireless printer so that they can print . Now typically I would just hook up a wireless printer. However, if I have 2 8 port hub switches already cabled into 15 machines. How do I pull this off?

Can anyone help suggest.
thank you.

Chris

You can get the Brother MFC WiFi Printers (also ePrint) works with tablets and smartphones. These all-in-one work much different that the past technology. Everyone in the printer queue can print to it one at a time. Unless you spend more on the larger buffering models. What type of WiFi Printer you need. This one does it all Scanner, Color Printer an etc. Easy to install on network. Once configured to see your WiFi Router or WiFi AP it takes over from there. All PC on the network will see it.

Epson WorForce 630 here. A couple of years old. Using WiFi.
Best printer I've owned. I switched from HP because several models in a row had bad build quality and really buggy/bloated software.

Very pleased with the Epson.

So, the OP mentions nothing of having a wireless access point nor a router/firewall with wireless capability. If that's the case, then no go with wireless without putting something in place for the printer to connect to via wireless.

Unless in a home environment, and with a strong wireless signal, I'm not a fan at all of wireless printing in the workplace. I've seen too many disconnects, signal interference, reset back to default (lose the wireless config), etc... I'll only do wireless printing if wired is just not an option.

I've always felt that wifi printers are problematic. I've had several that we installed as wireless first, and then moved to ethernet. Connected to the wired network, they become far more reliable.

Even when wifi clients are connecting via an access point, it's far more reliable to have the printer on the wired network

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!