What's new

WNDR3700 USB throughput.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iugrifma

Occasional Visitor
Gents,
Has anyone tested the throughput (performance) of a connected Hard Disk (via USB 2) to this router? I know that's quite a subjective question, but I'm trying to get a feel on my setup. I've got a Maxtor (Seagate) drive attached and don't seem to be able to get more than 10MB/s throughput to a device connected on the routers LAN switch over Gigabit connection(s). The theoretical limits for both USB and Gigbit are way higher than the 10MB/s I'm seeing, but was wondering what anyone else might experience or think should be achievable?
Thanks for any help,
Griffo.

Many thanks for the feedback Mr. thiggins, I guess I should of re-read the review as I forgot you tested USB throughput.;)

I'm a little gutted that 10/11MB/s is max speed.:confused:
Anyway, I do have one small bit of new info.

"...Write speed was 11.4 MB/s and read measured 9.8 MB/s—not bad for a router-based NAS. Note that this is much faster than the 2.8 MB/s reported in the Preview article, which could be due to my use of Vista SP1."

I dont think that speed was Vista SP1 related, because I'm using a Synology NAS to push/pull my data to the USB drive on the Router as a second tier storage solution (or overspill in plain speak). And I'm getting the aforementioned 10/11 MB/s using the wget[http]/wput[ftp] utilities (rsync wasn't an option). No enhanced Vista SP1 file copy in sight.

Thanks again for your help. I won't waste anymore time trying to squeeze more throughput out of the thing,

Regards,

Griffo.

For the record, I'm assuming the USB drive is formatted NTFS if those are the speeds you are getting. I reformatted mine (WD 1.5TB) to ext3 and now get in the neighborhood of 15MB/s (wired, gigabit, cat6).