What's new

WNDR3700 vs Asus RT-N16 vs Cisco E3000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aminiar

New Around Here
What I want to do:
Setup a Home Server & Media Center
Needs to be able to broadcast in a 3 story house.
Gigabit Ethernet.

Which one is best performance wise?

Other than that only slight advantage I see in Asus is Tomato support. I will want good QOS Support.

None of them (or any other wireless router) are guaranteed to cover a three floor house, especially for video streaming. Note that the ASUS is single-band, not dual.

Use the Wireless Charts, select the three products and click the Performance Table button to compare our performance results.

None of them (or any other wireless router) are guaranteed to cover a three floor house, especially for video streaming. Note that the ASUS is single-band, not dual.

Use the Wireless Charts, select the three products and click the Performance Table button to compare our performance results.

The other guys in the house on the 2nd and 3rd more than likely we won't have to worry about for streaming. I have looked at the charts, and I saw that the Netgear ranked highest. But I was inquiring more into QOS support and its ability to throttle torrents so people can play xbox.

Also if getting the N16 with Tomato support is worth it? Is the price increase of the N16 to the Netgear of 50$ worth it? I'm not sure if having Dual Sim is worth it?

Also I know their are no test for the E3000, Do you know anything about it and hwo it might compare to the netgear?

Well, I can't answer your question about Torrents and QOS, but I can talk to the range of the 3700 in a 3 story house. I have my 3700 in the bottom floor of a 3 story house (in my office). With 802.11G on 2.4 GHZ, I get a 97% signal on the top floor of the house (up in the bedroom) so no range issues at all there. With 802.11G (on 5ghz) I get 54% about 30 feet away on the ground floor (same as router), about 74% one floor up in the kitchen (don't ask me why it is better) and about 45% (still usable) on the 3rd floor. 802.11N on 5ghz seems about the same.

The other thing I can say about the 3700 (so far) is that it seems rock solid. I have not had a dropped connection or any issues with mine since I plugged it in (a couple of weeks ago). This is a breath of fresh air after the problems I have been having with my DLink before this (reboot 1-2 times a week because it would stop broadcasting).