What's new

would like to connect two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smgchandler

New Around Here
i have a rt n66 and a ac66 that i would like to connect together - purpose is having extra wired connections in den and longer range for wireless and also i am getting tivo roamio and possibly tivo mini to use over the air with antennae in near future - i am not an expert but have set up one router before but that is the extent of my experience here so -- i dont understand bridge or even my choices here so keep that in mind. Also i might want to wirelessly reconnect a set of 4 security cameras that i have that used a dvr hard wired- at one time- due to lightning i had to replace routers that it was set up on but that will be later after i figure the two routers out !! i dont really need to be able to transfer files from different computers in the house - just to receive good wireless signal for hd tv and ipads cellphones etc - i appreciate in suggestions you have to offer even if i picked the wrong routers i am open to all suggestions thanks

In an ideal scenario you would have one of your devices as a wireless router (the default setup) and then run an Ethernet cable from it to the other device in a remote location. The second device would be configured in "Access Point(AP) mode".

That way you have maximum wireless coverage as well as the availability of wired connections in both locations.

Welcome! This forum can be confusing when you first come to it. You need to spend a little time investigating your options and determining how you really want to set up your network. Your post seemed to indicate that you want to do everything by wireless. That is possible if you configure one device (RT-N66 preferably) as the router and the other device (RT-AC66) as an access point. To do this, set up your RT-N66 like you normally would and ensure that it is operating good.

After you have your router set up, power up your RT-AC66 and connect a PC by hardwire to the LAN port on the device and get into the firmware (type 192.168.1.1 into a web browser). If you get an error message, or you do not see the router GUI, you may need to reset the PC and device with the RT-AC66 connected to the PC in order to get the GUI to display.

Once you are in the FW, go to the administration page and "operation tab" and select "repeater mode". That will allow you to wirelessly connect from your RT-N66 router to your RT-AC66 repeater and wirelessly connect from the RT-AC66 to the client devices. You have to be aware that the connection speed is halved because the repeater has to continuously switch between connection to the router and client devices.

As ColinTaylor said, if you can connect the router (make the RT-AC66 the router in this case) by ethernet cable to the other device (RT-N66) then you can set up the RT-N66 in "access point" mode which will allow you to have full gigabit speed connection between the router and access point. The connection will also be rock solid stable. The only downside to this is that you have to run a cable between the two devices.

Good luck on this. If these are new routers to you, you will want to spend some time playing around with one to become familiar with the firmware and how to navigate the pages.