What's new

XR 500 client limit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ProfoundGlee

Occasional Visitor
Somehow I now have way too many wireless devices (mostly cheap smart home crap). I seem to have issues getting an IP address whenever I connect more than around 28 devices to my router at once. I have no idea why. Everything says I should be able to connect up to 32 clients per band, and I'm at maybe 16 per band.

Is there a limit to the amount of clients that an XR500 can have? Is there a setting that would give me more leeway with the amount of clients?

There doesn't appear to be any obvious limitations to bandwidth or processing power, or connectivity. Just the volume of devices connected.

If there IS a limit to the amount of devices that my router can use... can someone suggest a wireless router that could connect more devices? Or would that be past the realm of "small net builder?"

Oh, oh. Netgear.

Do you have the latest firmware on it? Have you reset it fully after flashing the latest firmware and then minimally and manually configure it? Without using a saved backup config file?

Oh, oh. Netgear.

Do you have the latest firmware on it? Have you reset it fully after flashing the latest firmware and then minimally and manually configure it? Without using a saved backup config file?

Yes for the latest firmware..... no on the reset fully. I'll try that...

Oh, oh. Netgear.

resetting was a horrible decision. I lost connectivity to everything. Finally after about 12 hours devices are starting to reconnect to the network. Somehow there is some.... thing where new devices, or rather old devices get blocked from joining.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!