What's new

ZenWiFi AX: Great download speeds...can't get good upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piel

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I just fired up this past week my new 4 node ZenWiFi AX set up (using 41793 firmware). The config is rather basic:

FiOS ONT (not their router) > Main ASUS router > Gigabit switch > three more nodes throughout the house via wired backhaul

My FiOS connection is 500/500. I see this speed at the router and at any device that is hardwired to my network (laptop connected to a docking station and my hardwired AppleTVs). That said, when I use wireless devices, while I do still get 500 down, I can never get above 200 up.

ASUS support has been rather useless thus far.

Thoughts?

it depends on the QOS or devices connected.

The same devices would do much higher uploads on my old Velop mesh system. Also, the same issue happens on my new WiFi 6 enabled devices. QOS is disabled per others' suggestions.

I found an interesting/curious clue yesterday which I can't figure out. We just got a Peloton bike and I connected it to the 5Ghz AX part of our network. It was able to get 350 Mbps down AND up. My M1 MacBook Air (with WiFi6) on the same "network" at virtually the identical place (I was sitting on the bike with my laptop) would get 500 Mbps down, but still only maybe 200 Mbps up. The Peloton supports 5Ghz AC. Does this new information give anyone any ideas?

M1 Air has many issues, still.

The thing is, I didn't have this issue with my Velop system, and I have the same issue now with my Surface Laptop 3. No device I have that is AC capable (other than my Peloton) can go past 200 Mbps. I'm at a loss.

Are you able to get above 200 up wired? I had the same exact issue. XT8 connected to FiOS ONT, only able to get 200 up. I gave up and am just using the XT8s in AP mode with a FiOS G1100 router I got on eBay.

I've seen similar on my fibre connection - upload should be 500mbps but WITHOUT Adaptive QOS _on_ I struggled to get any more than low 300s, with A-QOS enabled I get the full speed

so try enabling QOS and see if your speeds go up

Are you able to get above 200 up wired? I had the same exact issue. XT8 connected to FiOS ONT, only able to get 200 up. I gave up and am just using the XT8s in AP mode with a FiOS G1100 router I got on eBay.
All wired devices get 500/500 - my three spokes are all wired backhaul, so I believe they default to AP mode

I've seen similar on my fibre connection - upload should be 500mbps but WITHOUT Adaptive QOS _on_ I struggled to get any more than low 300s, with A-QOS enabled I get the full speed

so try enabling QOS and see if your speeds go up
I did have QoS on initially and I was still only getting 200 up. I know it's not my wireless devices because yesterday I got 500 U/D when visiting someone who uses the Gen1 Google WiFi system (the hockey pucks).

This is very frustrating and I have since returned in the last week the ZenWifi XT8 and the GT-AX11000 for this same issue. My current setup is 1-RT-AC5300 as main router with 1-RT-AC5300, 2-RT-AC86U, and 1-RT-AC66U_B1 as nodes to support about 100 devices (all wired backhaul in AIMESH setup). I have 2-switches strategically placed and most of my streaming devices hardwired. Was hoping that getting the XT8 could allow me to shrink nodes. While it did give me excellent wifi download speeds (laptop with Intel AC9560 hitting 800+ mbps and note 20 ultra doing the same), the upload speeds would not go past 200+ (usually was around 150mbps). I tried adding a switch between the ONT (I have verizon 1gbit internet with ethernet only installation) routers to no avail. I've tried reaching out to verizon to no avail. With my old (and now current setup), I can average 500+mbps download/upload speeds. At this point, with only 3-phones that support wifi 6 and the laptop supporting 160mhz, not sure if its even worth the upgrade.

Is there anything else that could be contributing this the horrible upload speeds with these things? Or is it just how it responds to Verizons Cat6 ONT installation?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!