What's new

Solved ZenWiFi XT8 and Verizon FIOS Slow Upload Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric_K

New Around Here
Hi all,

Created an account so I can post that I found the problem for Verizon FIOS slow uploads and how to solve it. Additionally, I hope that Asus and the developers of Asus Merlin firmware are able to use this information to create a permanent fix in router firmware.

I have found that devices connecting to Verizon FIOS ONT's require Ethernet Flow Control to be enabled. I found this by installing a Mikrotik hEX router directly on my Verizon Fios connection and switching the Asus system to AP only mode. While performing speed tests (uploads were still slow at this point), I was watching the Ethernet stats on the interface connected to the Verizon ONT and noted that during the upload test Verizon was sending 'Pause' frames which is Ethernet flow control:

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.06.04 AM.png

I enabled Ethernet flow control (rx/tx) on the interface and repeated the test and upload speeds greatly increased. Therefore, until ASUS (and/or Merlin developers) allow access to hardware flow control settings on the Ethernet interface, a $50 Mikrotik router will allow the XT8 (and presumably other Asus models) to run at full speed.

Speed test w/ control off:
Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.13.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.13.35 AM.png

Speed test w/ flow control on:

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.14.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 8.14.50 AM.png

(Note how the counters increased drastically compared to flow control off as well as an overall boost in speed including download - likely because of flow control frames being sent from the Mikrotik towards Verizon).

My test computer is a 14" MacBook Pro connected to the main node approximately 20' away through a wall, closet door (stacked washer/dryer in the closet) and a floor. PHY RX 907.4 / TX 408.3 (checked after speed test above). I hope everyone finds this useful and this information can be used to create a permanent fix.

-Eric

Hi all,

Created an account so I can post that I found the problem for Verizon FIOS slow uploads and how to solve it. Additionally, I hope that Asus and the developers of Asus Merlin firmware are able to use this information to create a permanent fix in router firmware.

I have found that devices connecting to Verizon FIOS ONT's require Ethernet Flow Control to be enabled. I found this by installing a Mikrotik hEX router directly on my Verizon Fios connection and switching the Asus system to AP only mode. While performing speed tests (uploads were still slow at this point), I was watching the Ethernet stats on the interface connected to the Verizon ONT and noted that during the upload test Verizon was sending 'Pause' frames which is Ethernet flow control:

View attachment 43862

I enabled Ethernet flow control (rx/tx) on the interface and repeated the test and upload speeds greatly increased. Therefore, until ASUS (and/or Merlin developers) allow access to hardware flow control settings on the Ethernet interface, a $50 Mikrotik router will allow the XT8 (and presumably other Asus models) to run at full speed.

Speed test w/ control off:
View attachment 43863View attachment 43864

Speed test w/ flow control on:

View attachment 43865View attachment 43866

(Note how the counters increased drastically compared to flow control off as well as an overall boost in speed including download - likely because of flow control frames being sent from the Mikrotik towards Verizon).

My test computer is a 14" MacBook Pro connected to the main node approximately 20' away through a wall, closet door (stacked washer/dryer in the closet) and a floor. PHY RX 907.4 / TX 408.3 (checked after speed test above). I hope everyone finds this useful and this information can be used to create a permanent fix.

-Eric
try the firmware from GNUton. its a fork from Merlin.

i had issues with my ET8 (slow wifi uploads). flashed this firmware and it fixed it. for the ET8 you need the RT-AXE95Q firmware. for the XT8 you need the RT-AX95Q firmware. flash it from the web interface the same way you would an asus firmware.

now that this firmware is available maybe asus will release one too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!