What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am using asus firmware 108 and i set ntp but nothing im stuck in 2011, for some reason wireless does not work well what so ever on shibby or toastmans firmware, and i tried with the same wireless settings on all firmwares

Do you do a "factory reset" of the router after changing firmware?

good advice. be SURE you "erase all data in NVRAM memory (thorough) when you put on tomato!

see attached-

Attachments

• tomato.jpg
    tomato.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 359

Hmmm,
A dumb guess but never know. Maybe he is not saving his settings?

Hmmm,
A dumb guess but never know. Maybe he is not saving his settings?

Hey thanks, just trying to help. Guess I should leave that to you smart guys, then?

I have reported NTP not working correctly.

NTP works flawlessly with Tomato so it must be a stock firmware bug.

I am having a problem with wireless N streaming from my HDHomeRun Prime to my laptop. I know that HD streaming can be hit or miss on wireless depending on hardware, environment ect., but what has me confused is that on either band I get lots of pixelation and audio stuttering on wireless N but if I limit the 2.4 GHz band to G only it streams perfectly. I seem to get a little more stability using .90 than either tomato, .102 and .108 on N, but don't know whether wireless N has an inherent increase in instability (whether limited to 20 or full 40 Hz) when compared to G while streaming video or whether I have some sort of hardware issues with my router that I should be concerned about. Of course my return period at Frys is past. Any insight would be great since my wife is getting sick of the tv always being down as I play with this trying to get it dialed in.

What wireless device are you using? Did you try a different laptop?

I am using the built in 4965agn wiress card that came in my laptop, I bought the Intel Wifi Link 5300 internal card, and I bought a Belkin n750 db usb adapter for testing purposes. I had the most instability with the 5300 (which I wanted to maximize network speed) and the 4965 and belkin had similar results of poor stability with .108 and fair with .90. Again though, if I limit the speed to G everything works fine for either firmware. I tried the usb adapter in another laptop with the same results. I am thinking (and hoping) it is just a firmware issue not a hardware issue but I just don't know enough I guess. Again any insight would be appreciated to help ease my frustrations

Last edited:
I changed the NTP Server to "0.north-america.pool.ntp.org", but then was reading that NTP Servers only serve UTC (GMT), so the router OS itself would have to make the daylight saving time adjustment. The router is clearly capable of converting UTC to my local time zone, but apparently doesn't know about how daylight saving time currently works. So, "manual daylight saving time" looks like what I'll be doing until I discover a better way *smile*.
And on .102 they have obsolete rules for DST. The end date is set for the 2nd Sunday of October, but the US changed it to the 1st Sunday of November in 2005 (not sure if they have different rules based on location, but I'm clearly set to a North American time zone and both the US and Canada have had this rule for years now. So, switch to manual *and* update the end time rule to M11, week 1 (if you are in US or Canada)...

I am using the built in 4965agn wiress card that came in my laptop, I bought the Intel Wifi Link 5300 internal card, and I bought a Belkin n750 db usb adapter for testing purposes. I had the most instability with the 5300 (which I wanted to maximize network speed) and the 4965 and belkin had similar results of poor stability with .108 and fair with .90. Again though, if I limit the speed to G everything works fine for either firmware. I tried the usb adapter in another laptop with the same results. I am thinking (and hoping) it is just a firmware issue not a hardware issue but I just don't know enough I guess.

did you try channels 1, then 6, then 11, both 20mhz and 40 mhz?

do NOT leave it on auto...

And on .102 they have obsolete rules for DST. The end date is set for the 2nd Sunday of October, but the US changed it to the 1st Sunday of November in 2005 (not sure if they have different rules based on location, but I'm clearly set to a North American time zone and both the US and Canada have had this rule for years now. So, switch to manual *and* update the end time rule to M11, week 1 (if you are in US or Canada)...

Yep, already added the end of daylight saving time, 11/4/2012 2AM *smile*.

So, unless they change daylight saving time yet again, I'm set for the year.

Yep, already added the end of daylight saving time, 11/4/2012 2AM *smile*.

So, unless they change daylight saving time yet again, I'm set for the year.

Ditto, that one was kinda funny after this weekend, since auto-DST didn't seem to kick in and then checking the manual setting was off. Course, I wish we'd just stick to one time anyway but hey lol ;)

Hi!
My switched ac adapter for RT-N66U works with one issue.
If I plug in it in AC without switched off the "Power" button on router
the LED on adapter start blinking and router doesn't start up.
If I plug in switched AC adapter and press "Power" button on router
after that to "ON" router starts up fine.
I think switched AC adapter should be better -
in situation when AC will broke for any time
my router will not start up while I release and press "Power"
button on router myself.

Not good for me !!!
Now I'm not shure that while I will on vacation
my Network will work all the time.

P.S. I know that sometimes happens with switched AC adapters
and hope that heppens not offen with adapers for RT-N66U.
May be even with mine only...

Last edited:
I am using the built in 4965agn wiress card that came in my laptop, I bought the Intel Wifi Link 5300 internal card, and I bought a Belkin n750 db usb adapter for testing purposes. I had the most instability with the 5300 (which I wanted to maximize network speed) and the 4965 and belkin had similar results of poor stability with .108 and fair with .90. Again though, if I limit the speed to G everything works fine for either firmware. I tried the usb adapter in another laptop with the same results. I am thinking (and hoping) it is just a firmware issue not a hardware issue but I just don't know enough I guess. Again any insight would be appreciated to help ease my frustrations

I'm having no problems streaming (HD and Blu Ray ) with my HP laptop with 4965 A G N card in 2.4 and 5. ghz bands , what are your settings on the card and RT-N66 ?

I'm having no problems streaming (HD and Blu Ray ) with my HP laptop with 4965 A G N card in 2.4 and 5. ghz bands , what are your settings on the card and RT-N66 ?

1080p is a hit or miss on wifi no matter what channel use are using. You should be hard wire with 1080p.I can stream fine with 720p.

Hey guys. Quick question, does either the RT-N56U and the RT-N66U have syslog feature? The typical syslog protocol with ports 514 or anything of the alike? Have check manuals, online demo gui and I can't find anything. I know by flashing third-party fw will have this feature but would like to know if it has it in the oem fw. Thanks.

Hey guys. Quick question, does either the RT-N56U and the RT-N66U have syslog feature? The typical syslog protocol with ports 514 or anything of the alike? Have check manuals, online demo gui and I can't find anything. I know by flashing third-party fw will have this feature but would like to know if it has it in the oem fw. Thanks.

Stock firmware does have syslog but I don't think you can send the log file to an external pc.

Just got the RT-N66U and it is much better than the E4200V1 in range and throughput. The only two things that I'm missing are:

1 - WOL support (simply doesn't work within LAN or WAN)
2 - https access to the router. This should be standard.

Everything else is great so far but still have yet to attach a usb drive...:)

Just got the RT-N66U and it is much better than the E4200V1 in range and throughput. The only two things that I'm missing are:

1 - WOL support (simply doesn't work within LAN or WAN)

Can anyone else confirm this? So I couldn't use my iPhone to wake my server (all when @ home connected via wireless LAN)?

You can send syslog to an external server on the LAN. It only sends boot messages and critical messages. Wish it would send the wifi messages out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.