What's new

edimax wifi adaptor can't see networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

the router is only a few days old, and was manually configured after the latest firmware update was applied, so it's not like there are years worth of config changes on it.
so i did start from a clean base.

took it out the box.
manually applied the latest firmware.
configured it to what it is currently set to

also, the edimax doesn't see the guest wifi which is only broadcasting on 2.4Ghz, so that may suggest that smart connect isn't the culprit here?

Doesn't need 'years' worth of updates' for it to need a full M&M Config.

yeah but the point i was making was that the router came out the box, powered on, firmware updated, wifi enabled.
at that point the edimax couldn't see it. it was as basic as a config that there could have been

A compatibility issue between the Asus' wireless driver and the Edimax maybe. I don't know how you would investigate this though.

yes it's worrying, as you then have to think what other wifi devices it has a compatibilty issue with.

The first Windows 10 AX device was introduced into our home network a few months ago and initially it did not play nice with our AC86U router and AC68U AiMesh node setup on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 band. It would just randomly drop off.

The challenge I have with things like this is I run both wireless bands with minimal settings and don't use any of the quirky wireless features in the firmware that are usually the first things to try disabling, so there isn't much I can tweak on the router when device issues arise. Different channels made no difference and I checked the Intel wireless driver.

In the end, the issue was with the Intel wireless driver's advanced settings. It had lots of options I've never seen before, compared to other wireless drivers in the house. Once I disabled everything, other than the minimum settings needed for the driver to at least operate, it has been solid and no drops.

this isn't an AX adpator though, just a plain old b/g/n 150Mbps adaptor.

yep, was one of ths first things that was checked.

Uninstall the adapter in Device Manager, remove it, install the OEM driver, insert the adapter, see what happens.

Do your other router(s) support 2.4 GHz channel 13?

OE

have already done the un-install dance, it made no difference
i have no other routers now, just the asus.

the previous router was the unifi dream machine, which i believe does support channel 13 on 2.4GHz, however at present my 2.4Ghz network is on channel 6

have already done the un-install dance, it made no difference
i have no other routers now, just the asus.

Perhaps you could present the issue to Edimax Support... they may have some advice on the matter.

OE

asus support might be more appropriate (if there is a such a thing), as it's the router causing the problem?

asus support might be more appropriate (if there is a such a thing), as it's the router causing the problem?

I thought it was the driver causing the problem? :)

You have a many clients-to-one router, except one client problem.

OE

who said it was the driver causing the problem? i certainly didn't.
i can only repeat what i have said before, the adaptor was working fine before the router was replaced.
so when you troubleshoot you look to see what changed on the network, and the only change was the router.

i have tried both the built-in windows10 driver and the oem driver, both made no difference.

who said it was the driver causing the problem? i certainly didn't.
i can only repeat what i have said before, the adaptor was working fine before the router was replaced.
so when you troubleshoot you look to see what changed on the network, and the only change was the router.

i have tried both the built-in windows10 driver and the oem driver, both made no difference.

Yes, that's been covered. I understand the client worked with another router. The problem is that it doesn't work with this router, yet other clients do. So, you have an incompatibility which is generally not worth the time and trouble to try to resolve... there are too many variables, technology advances, and unknowns beyond your control, like most of them. The cheapest, fastest, and likely only solution in this instance is to upgrade the client to a client that does work with your network, like most of them.

OE

Which is all true, but a question posed earlier, who's to say any other device also won't work for unknown reasons.

I've logged a support ticket with both edimax and asus

Which is all true, but a question posed earlier, who's to say any other device also won't work for unknown reasons.

I've logged a support ticket with both edimax and asus

If by chance you buy a new adapter that also can not see your WLANs like all of your other clients now can, then return it and get a different one.

Who's to say the adapter you have now is not defective.

BTW, have you tried adding the wireless network connection to your client even though you can not see it to select it?

OE

Maybe it is defective, but hasn't shown any signs of it up into now, and it can still see other WiFi networks, just not mine

For what it's worth, I was having this same problem with the EW-8711un adapter a similar newer Asus router. Turns out the Edimax EW-7811un didn't like the '802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 mode' setting set to 'Enable.' I set this to 'Disable' and it now sees all my wireless networks.
1622232869111.png

I created an account just to reply to this as I've been beating my head against the wall for a while trying to figure this out. Hope this proves useful to someone else!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!