What's new

edimax wifi adaptor can't see networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would have done another factory reset after the firmware update, just to be sure NVRAM is cleared of any potential hangovers from the old firmware.

The only thing I can think of is that Smart Connect is doing something to the 2.4 band's configuration that this Edimax device doesn't support.

i didn't think i'd have needed to do a factory reset after applying the update, as i hadn't actually touched any settings at that point.
i can try it later on, but not convinced.

only other thing i guess is to try merlin, but i'll need to take a note of all the config changes i've made (which has been a lot), to re-apply afterwards, as i believe a factory reset it recommended after applying that too (restoring settings from a back also isn't advised apparently).

turning off smart connect made no difference.
the edimax can't see the two seperate SSIDs and can't see the guest wifi

turning off smart connect made no difference.
the edimax can't see the two seperate SSIDs and can't see the guest wifi

Have you tried updating the OEM/edimax driver?

Disable Universal Beamforming on the router?

OE

windows 10 has native support for the device, so it installs it's own driver, which is "newer" than the one provided on the edimax website.
although i will say again, it works fine on all the previous routers, so not sure what the asus is doing differently.

windows 10 has native support for the device, so it installs it's own driver, which is "newer" than the one provided on the edimax website.
although i will say again, it works fine on all the previous routers, so not sure what the asus is doing differently.

None of that matters. All that matters is working the problem.

OE

it matters in the sense that the asus is the root of the problem, and working out what it's doing that the others didn't.
installing the older drivers made no difference.

it matters in the sense that the asus is the root of the problem, and working out what it's doing that the others didn't.
installing the older drivers made no difference.

So, you have already tried the current OEM driver?

How about disabling Universal Beamforming on the router?

OE

Last edited:
the current OEM driver is older than the driver that windows 10 auto installs.
so yes the older drivers made no difference, both drivers have the same result.

i've already had that both on and off during intitial testing.

Have you tried a guest network with no security... an open network?

Do you have any USB 3.0 operating near the Edimax USB nub?

OE

Last edited:
i hadn't, but i just tried it there, and no difference.

I notice there is a version 2, so two different OEM drivers to choose from depending on your version.

Ultimately, you may have to replace it.

OE

replacing it is fine, however who's to say that any other one purchased won't have the same problem?
hence why it's good to know why it isn't working.

i'm not sure i follow the question.
the laptop only has 2 USB ports and they are both USB3 ports.

USB 3.0 operates at a high data rate. This generates EMI for 2.4 GHz WiFi. But it would probably take active USB 3.0 traffic to obliterate reception of your 2.4 WiFi... and I just read that you are able to see other 2.4 WLANs... just not yours.

OE

and again, nothing has changed other than the asus router, so if USB3 was a problem now surely it would have been a problem before too.

replacing it is fine, however who's to say that any other one purchased won't have the same problem?
hence why it's good to know why it isn't working.

Perhaps. The usual way a network adapter problem like this is solved is to change/upgrade the adapter and move on... this may be why you are using a USB adapter now. You've tried the current OEM driver; that just leaves replacing the hardware.

It should just work and not require some special router setting, so the decision to replace troubled hardware is a decision to trust that the replacement will just work like it should. Conversely, you would not want to hobble your entire network to accommodate one finicky client, even if you could determine that special router setting.

OE

nope, this is my spare USB network adaptor i use for testing any devices i get in that have no working or available LAN connections.
it has been used in another laptop because it had better range than the built-in wifi (crappy HP laptop). but now that laptop is hobbled because, for whatever reason the asus wifi isn't compatible with it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!