What's new

NETGEAR Debuts AC3200 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meh. Its better than being bleeding edge. That said I think my WDR3600 are closer to 18 months old at this point and I did only get them about 2 months ago.

Yeah, the R7000 has been out since October. At 9 months now, it still has significant firmware issues.

18 months or even 2 years is probably a much better window. The thing is, companies are putting out new tech at such high rates, it's not that you have to wait to see what issues get fixed. It's almost that you have to wait to see if they're even going to support devices.

I know with the WNDR3700, Netgear had moved on to other devices after a year and I was still running beta firmware. It was rock solid for almost 4 years on that beta firmware but it was still beta firmware. I'm not sure they ever did solve some of the issues. They had already moved on to the 3800 and 4000 (sound familiar?)

Speaking of the WNDR4000, I'm still rocking it here using DD-WRT. It seems the firmware images of subsequent generations of DD-WRT have eclipsed the size of the flash memory putting us holdouts at a bit of a dead end. I still don't see that as a reason to upgrade...perhaps if I needed to stream 4K video or transfer gigabyte-sized files wirelessly on a regular basis.

Most reviews say the antennas feel flimsy and about to break off. I think that antenna design is a disaster. I'm waiting for the Asus RT-AC3200.

Most reviews say the antennas feel flimsy and about to break off. I think that antenna design is a disaster. I'm waiting for the Asus RT-AC3200.

Then why they gave it 5 stars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Guess they don't want to upgrade so they don't care. I would never buy a router with fixed antennas.

You are right , its scary specially around kids
If one antenna breaks , u r screwed

Check this one out lol ,

For example : one amazon reviewer says

"EDIT/DISCLAIMER (July 09, 2014):
A few people have revised the question that how could I use it for weeks when it was released a day back. Well, I would like to make it clear that I was invited as a beta tester for this router even before it was released in market. I had already used it for a month. But in the hindsight, I would have bought it even if I had not used it earlier.

I would suggest you that if you are serious about buying a quality high performance router, get it from Amazon, use for a few weeks and return it if you do not like (and I am sure it will never come to that !!!). Also, I declare that I am not affiliated to Netgear nor did I get any compensation/favors from Netgear for this review."

To me it sounds like a Netgear employee

You are right , its scary specially around kids
If one antenna breaks , u r screwed

Check this one out lol ,

For example : one amazon reviewer says

"EDIT/DISCLAIMER (July 09, 2014):
A few people have revised the question that how could I use it for weeks when it was released a day back. Well, I would like to make it clear that I was invited as a beta tester for this router even before it was released in market. I had already used it for a month. But in the hindsight, I would have bought it even if I had not used it earlier.

I would suggest you that if you are serious about buying a quality high performance router, get it from Amazon, use for a few weeks and return it if you do not like (and I am sure it will never come to that !!!). Also, I declare that I am not affiliated to Netgear nor did I get any compensation/favors from Netgear for this review."

I was a beta tester before and never got a router until a few days after launch. But Asus has sent out a few AC87U's already for testing. Yeah some reviews are bogus. I'm just hoping that the Netgear Nighthawk X4 comes with removable antennas.

Probably not. But they definitely violated their NDA. I've done beta testing for Netgear and posting a review to Amazon is a no-no.

I wouldn't trust the review for that reason - the person lacks integrity. They signed a contract.

GAH!

Wish I could get an Asus router to beta test....so far...only have had Linksys and now TP-Link....thier top models...still, my Asus AC56U seems to beat them in performance and features.

Maybe...someday....(Wink)

I was a beta tester before and never got a router until a few days after launch.

Depends. I know a Netgear betatester (he didn't betatest the AC3200 however, lack of time). He was betatesting the R6250, and received it about a month or more before its release. So, he could be a genuine Netgear tester. These are not Netgear employee but volunteers.

GAH!

Wish I could get an Asus router to beta test....so far...only have had Linksys and now TP-Link....thier top models...still, my Asus AC56U seems to beat them in performance and features.

Maybe...someday....(Wink)

I don't think Asus has any kind of beta program (at least not in North America, maybe they do closer to Taiwan HQ).

Those of us with an RT-AC87U are all developers (AFAIK). In fact, the first batch we received didn't even come with a case, as it was still being worked on, as well as the antenna design. We got a bare pc board with generic antennas.

Depends. I know a Netgear betatester (he didn't betatest the AC3200 however, lack of time). He was betatesting the R6250, and received it about a month or more before its release. So, he could be a genuine Netgear tester. These are not Netgear employee but volunteers.

That's correct. Volunteers.

For one test I participated in, I had the initial device 6 months before release. It went through a fairly complete hardware redesign during that period (based on our feedback) so I ended up with 2 devices.

It really depends on the test device.

That all being said, if the reviewer on Amazon is indeed a genuine Netgear beta tester, he did a pretty bush league thing by posting a review on Amazon. There's a trust factor there, not to mention the NDA.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!