What's new

NETGEAR Debuts AC3200 Nighthawk

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's not about who can afford it. But who wants to pay that much for a router. I certainly can afford it but Netgear is no way in hell making $300.00 off of me with no pro reviews out. Just my opinion. Plus not removable antennas is a no go with me.

Again, that is your opinion, and your life.

I live in Toronto ( downtown ), and i don't wanna talk about my expenses - as there is no need for it.

I know what my pocket can afford, as you know what your pocket can afford, as well, as i know how people live in Ontario (but, again, that is my opinion - of course, there will be others with different opinion, thoughts, etc - and i respect that - as i respect your opinion, simple as that).

It's not about who can afford it. But who wants to pay that much for a router. I certainly can afford it but Netgear is no way in hell making $300.00 off of me with no pro reviews out. Just my opinion. Plus not removable antennas is a no go with me.

valid point, who WANTS to pay that much for a router, will find a way to get it, even if they can't afford it right away.

And this time, honestly, i am out of here and this forum.

It was better reading it as guest :) - it was more friendlier.

Guys, again. Enough about personal finances and get back on topic, please. Otherwise I will lock the thread.

yes seems like price gouging but it is what the market will bare
capitalism
of course the $220 I spent on the RT-AC68U seems like price gouging too

yes seems like price gouging but it is what the market will bare
capitalism
of course the $220 I spent on the RT-AC68U seems like price gouging too

$220.00 is not that bad. I seen the AC68U drop to $179.99 on Amazon and Newegg on some days. Just waiting on the Asus next Gen router pricing.

It looks like a dead bug.

Walked thru Fry's out here in San Diego - the "bug" is now available - $299 USD...

Asked the sales guy if they've been moving or not - and he pretty much said there's been customer looking, but not buying when they see the price...

When a good review comes out, it would be cool to see some teardowns to see if there are any u.fl connectors that would allow someone to add high gain external antennas if needed. While it doesn't look like it will improve single device performance by much, it may be interesting to see how it handles a large number of connected devices. A single device that can make sue of pretty much all of the non crippled 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels at the same time may be useful in making a hotspot in a crowded public space.

Also it would be interesting to see how the reduced transmit power will impact the overall range and throughput across the range since the R8000 has a lower transmit power per radio as compared to the R7000.

R8000: FCCID: PY314200264
Maximum Conducted Output
Power for 5GHz Band:
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (VHT20): 25.99 dBm ;
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (VHT40): 25.19 dBm ;
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (VHT80): 17.85 dBm

They are taking advantage of the increased transmit power limits on the lower channels, but it does not seem that they are taking full advantage.

Does anyone know if there are any FCC limits on overall transmit power across all wifi radios?

Last edited:
Then that is pretty weird why they are not running each of the radios at using the full transmit power. the R7000 used pretty much the full transmit power, and while we cannot be sure until someone does a teardown, but the R8000 is looking like an R7000 with an extra wifi radio and redesigned case. I wonder what caused them to turn the transmit power down a little If they only limit it based on the channels then they should be able to have 3 radios each pumping out a full watt.

Then that is pretty weird why they are not running each of the radios at using the full transmit power. the R7000 used pretty much the full transmit power, and while we cannot be sure until someone does a teardown, but the R8000 is looking like an R7000 with an extra wifi radio and redesigned case. I wonder what caused them to turn the transmit power down a little If they only limit it based on the channels then they should be able to have 3 radios each pumping out a full watt.
Asked and answered many times. It is against FCC regulations. Total allowed power from all radios is 30 dBm.

If you have more radios, per radio power must be reduced so that the overall spec is met.

Same goes for antenna gain. If you have higher gain antennas, transmit power must be reduced so that total radiated power spec is met.

Now, please stop asking why manufacturers don't exceed FCC specs.

Asked and answered many times. It is against FCC regulations. Total allowed power from all radios is 30 dBm.

If you have more radios, per radio power must be reduced so that the overall spec is met.

Same goes for antenna gain. If you have higher gain antennas, transmit power must be reduced so that total radiated power spec is met.

Now, please stop asking why manufacturers don't exceed FCC specs.

Thanks Tim. When you review these products, I'll be interested to see whether there are circumstances where a traditional design with one 5GHz radio at full power is preferable to these XStream designs with two 5Ghz radios at lower power.

Sorry, I thought it was more of a per channel, or per radio thing since a router maker would have a 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio both pushing close to a watt.
I am not talking about going beyond the limits, instead I am trying to find why they would use so much less than the limit. That all made me wonder if they were using a different wifi radio, or if there was some weird regulation that kicks in when they decide to go with 3 wifi radios.

For example the FCC test report for the R7000 shows

Maximum Conducted Output Power For 2.4GHz Band:
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (20MHz): 29.13 dBm ;
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (40MHz): 21.90 dBm
For 5GHz Band:
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (20MHz): 29.90 dBm ;
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (40MHz): 29.80 dBm ;
802.11ac MCS0/Nss1 (80MHz): 27.78 dBm

Given that into, it seems that it would be possible to have the 2.4GHz radio pushing 29.13 dBm (818.46mw) while at the same time, the 5GHz radio was pushing out 29.9 dBm (977.23 mw)

Last edited:
Thanks Tim. When you review these products, I'll be interested to see whether there are circumstances where a traditional design with one 5GHz radio at full power is preferable to these XStream designs with two 5Ghz radios at lower power.
Transmit power limits apply per radio. Radios can have one or more chains. A 3x3 radio has three RF chains (transmit/receive pairs).

So each of the two 5 GHz radios in an XStream design can operate at the maximum allowable FCC power.

Razor: Transmit power control is very complex. Even if the hardware is capable of it, manufacturers don't run radios right at max power because they have other specs they need to meet such as out-of-band transmissions, power spectral density, etc.

The attached file is the result of a curpower command run on a Broadcom-based router's 5 GHz radio. Note different limits for each modulation rate and bandwidth mode.

Attachments

• power_limits.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 900

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!