What's new

[Official] RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9177

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Am I the only one to have the traffic analyzer stop working? No totals showing up at all?

Make sure you enabled Apps Analysis under Adaptive QoS.

You can also try resetting your database in case it's corrupted:

1) Disable Traffic Analyzer
2) Log into the router using SSH, and delete the database:
Code:
rm /jffs/traffid.db
3) Re-enable Traffic Analyzer

Give it an hour or two to start populating itself.

Also keep in mind you must be in Router mode for it to work.

Make sure you enabled Apps Analysis under Adaptive QoS.

You can also try resetting your database in case it's corrupted:

1) Disable Traffic Analyzer
2) Log into the router using SSH, and delete the database:
Code:
rm /jffs/traffid.db
3) Re-enable Traffic Analyzer

Give it an hour or two to start populating itself.

Also keep in mind you must be in Router mode for it to work.
Thank You,

For now a simple reboot seems to have fixed things. The TA is working again. If it happens again I will follow the above instructions.

You mean OpenVPN "Client" + using .ovpn files?
If positive, then yes. At least I have to do so here to be able to effectively use the VPN connection.

Thanks fax, maybe ASUS needs to do something about this so that when the OpenVPN client is connected it will automatically change the DNS, just like Merlins firmware.

VPN support explained it as an issue of the ISP not allowing using their DNS for VPN rather than a router problem. But I cannot judge if this is a sound technical explanation.

VPN support explained it as an issue of the ISP not allowing using their DNS for VPN rather than a router problem. But I cannot judge if this is a sound technical explanation.
Tunnel providers often reject non-approved dns servers to prevent info leakage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it applies only to this firmware, but whenever I have more than one client on my 5Ghz that is active (watching Netflix, etc), I start dropping packets to the router. About 1 in 200 packets using a standard ping -t is dropped.

I am gaming on a PC wired directly into one of my AC87R units configured as a media bridge. If I have everyone else leave 5Ghz except for the media bridge, I never drop packets. Any ideas?

Dear ALL,
I used the 9177 firmware, PC and router connected by Gigabit Ethernet cable. USB3.0 interface USB3.0 U disk connection. u disk in the PC reads 240MB / S, write 150MB / S, but access after AC87U USB3.0 interface. U disk from PC to copy files to the maximum speed of only 40MB / S. I do not know what the reasons are, please give pointers, thank you.
best wishes
Binggesoft

Tunnel providers often reject non-approved dns servers to prevent info leakage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

But non of this doesn't explain why ASUS official firmware doesn't allow the DNS to be changed automatically, the one which is supplied by the tunnel provider, in my case it's PIA. I don't what to use my ISP DNS anyway.

Is it because ASUS doesn't know how to do it (I doubt it)? Maybe you (Merlin) could teach them (Asus) a thing or two.

But non of this doesn't explain why ASUS official firmware doesn't allow the DNS to be changed automatically, the one which is supplied by the tunnel provider, in my case it's PIA. I don't what to use my ISP DNS anyway.

Is it because ASUS doesn't know how to do it (I doubt it)? Maybe you (Merlin) could teach them (Asus) a thing or two.

The code is already there in the stock firmware, it's just that Asus decided to simplify the user interface, as mine was most likely a fair bit too complicated for a mainstream firmware.

The code is already there in the stock firmware, it's just that Asus decided to simplify the user interface, as mine was most likely a fair bit too complicated for a mainstream firmware.

Makes sense.

They could always add the option for basic setting and advance setting. Asus are you listening? Give us more options for OpenVPN for those people that need it.

Hello there RMerlin, ASUS_ASUSWRT / JK,
could you please provide your opininon / short analysis conclusion the ASUSWRT ipv6 dhcp-pd /60 prefix incompatibility?

Best regards,
Ank

could you please provide your opininon / short analysis conclusion the ASUSWRT ipv6 dhcp-pd /60 prefix incompatibility?

Best regards,
Ank

IPv6 is a huge lab experiment that was poorly thought. ISPs are all having different interpretations of the specs because those are ridiculously complicated, resulting in all sort of issues. For some ISPs, the Asuswrt DHCP-PD implementation works just fine, but for others it doesn't.

And for some other router manufacturers, ISPs that work fine with Asuswrt don't work properly with their own firmware, but others do.

It's just a big mess, and as some ISPs will try to rush their IPv6 deployment as they will be running out of IPv4s to provide, things aren't going to get any better for the next couple of years.

Add some to this, the way things are structured right now the only safe option is to go with a /64 prefix for you LAN devices. For example, my ISP assigns a /56 prefix to every subscriber (the only other ISP here that also supports native IPv6 does the same) but I cannot use but a /64 portion of it since I use SLAAC for address assigment and that is not compatible with anything else. Fortunately, dnsmasq used in ASUSWRT and Merlin firmwares is smart enough for the job.

Best regards,
Ank
By the way, your use case sounds a lot like mine, just that in place of a /56 that I get you get a /60. I am rather curious why it won't work for you but we cannot find out unless you can dig up what's going on with some command line fiddling.

Thanks RMerlin and charlie2alpha for your responses. Well my ISP states that the CPE he provides -- a Mikrotik Routerboard works good with this his configuration by resolving one of the 16 /64 networks available within the /60 prefix, eg ::2/64 .

The thing is that ASUSWRT tries to bind itself on the whole provided /60 prefix and therefore fails to resolve the ipv6 gateway.

This is what happens:

IPv6 Connection Type: Native with DHCP-PD
WAN IPv6 Address: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1
WAN IPv6 Gateway:
LAN IPv6 Address: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1/60
LAN IPv6 Link-Local Address: fe80::[someotherIPV6part]:a890/64
DHCP-PD: Enabled
LAN IPv6 Prefix: 2a06:[someIPV6part]::/60
DNS Address: 2001:4860:4860::8844 2001:4860:4860::8888

and the stateful hosts are

IPv6 LAN Devices List
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hostname MAC Address IPv6 Address
Ha* [MAC1] 2a06:[someIPV6part]::66c5
An* [MAC2] 2a06:[someIPV6part]::1b16

I tried to hassle with the ipv6 configuration via config files but that didn't really help :(

Last edited:
I forgot to ask, what type of WAN connection you use? Here I use PPPoE, hence the ppp daemon sets the gateway. I not sure how this works in non PPPoE connections, perhaps via the dhcp?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!