What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4950

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What happened exactly? iPhone lost its connection while you were using it? While it was asleep, but it reconnected when it woke up ? It stayed connected but it had no internet access?

What happened exactly? iPhone lost its connection while you were using it? While it was asleep, but it reconnected when it woke up ? It stayed connected but it had no internet access?

It stayed connected but it had no internet acess and no router acess.

I have to reconnect or wait 2 minutes to access back

It stayed connected but it had no internet acess and no router acess.

I have to reconnect or wait 2 minutes to access back

Was your beamforming turned on?

Noooooooooooooo!

I am very very very very disappointed!!!
Happened again after 2 days!!
They will never fix this!!! :(

Maybe it's time you ask Apple to fix THEIR stuff, because so far they're the only ones affected. Apple has been doing a lot of dumb stuff since iOS 7 in regards to wifi power management, causing all kind of issues with all kind of routers that aren't all white sporting a half-eaten logo on it. Quite frankly, this isn't a Quantenna issue. Apple's HW address randomization shennanigans, combined with overly aggressive power management just for the sake of displaying bigger battery life has been wrecking havok on a number of routers.

Hi guys, I'm new here and I certainly don't want to hijack this thread, but my question is related to this specific firmware release. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new router. Still have the 'old' Asus rt-n66u and I want a new one.

With the new 4950 firmware is the ac87u something you guys can honestly advice? I really like Asus, but from what I read on Amazon and the likes, there are many, many issues with their newly released products. Since the ac87u is six months old now and they have released this firmware, which seems really good, can I safely assume it's stable for home use now? I will mainly use it with an iPad Air 2 (a lot), an iPad Mini 2, a couple of Android phones (Samsung, Sony), a PS4, a PC and a Laptop.

I know the ac87u might not have immediate benefit and the ac68u' price is better, but I want to be a little more future proof and I don't mind the additional 50 euros, but I do want something that works though ;-)

Well the honest truth is the official version of this firmware is less than a week old. Some, like me, were running it when it was a beta for about a week before that and we have also been trying a few other betas that were steps along the way . With all the testing I've been doing, and it's probably true of most here, the router has never had a chance to stay up for more than a day, or maybe two before a reboot!

So it's hard to say for sure that this is a rock solid release that will run for months unattended. But it looks really good and Asus's determination to get it right is clear. I'd buy another, or recommend to a friend, if that helps!

Maybe it's time you ask Apple to fix THEIR stuff, because so far they're the only ones affected. Apple has been doing a lot of dumb stuff since iOS 7 in regards to wifi power management, causing all kind of issues with all kind of routers that aren't all white sporting a half-eaten logo on it. Quite frankly, this isn't a Quantenna issue. Apple's HW address randomization shennanigans, combined with overly aggressive power management just for the sake of displaying bigger battery life has been wrecking havok on a number of routers.
Maybe... but this did not happen with my old R7000

For those who are still having 5GHz issues on iOS, iOS 8.3 is out today, here are some of the fixes:

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth fixes:
● Fixes an issue where you could be continuously prompted for login credentials
Addresses an issue where some devices disconnect intermittently from Wi-Fi networks
● Fixes an issue where hands-free phone calls could become disconnected
● Fixes an issue where audio playback could stop working with some bluetooth speakers

more here...

For those who are still having 5GHz issues on iOS, iOS 8.3 is out today, here are some of the fixes:

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth fixes:
Addresses an issue where some devices disconnect intermittently from Wi-Fi networks
● Fixes an issue where hands-free phone calls could become disconnected
● Fixes an issue where audio playback could stop working with some bluetooth speakers

more here...

both happened to me with the TP-LINK WR841NR (2.4 ghz) in my job :

When I'm using ac87 , it does not disconnects but it has no internet access.

Have updated to 8.3 today, wasn't seeing any issues prior but will continue to keep an eye on it.

Beamforming works with all devices except apple... For me it's an apple issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since updating to 4950 my router crashes 100% dead on all ports and never recovers every 24-48hrs using the same settings as I used on 3754. Sure would be nice if ASUS could publish which settings cause the router to crash daily! ;-) ... only half joking.
My learning lesson with this router has been that if you find a stable firmware/config STICK WITH IT!
Anyone have ideas on what settings cause this to happen?

BTW, the log doesn't capture anything when it dies, the log simply ends.
Just now I tried to enable WPS in case that was the cause and the router just randomly rebooted itself a few minutes later. Temperamental little sucker isn't it!

Last edited:
Well, since updating to 4950 my router crashes 100% dead on all ports and never recovers every 24-48hrs using the same settings as I used on 3754. Sure would be nice if ASUS could publish which settings cause the router to crash daily! ;-) ... only half joking.
My learning lesson with this router has been that if you find a stable firmware/config STICK WITH IT!
Anyone have ideas on what settings cause this to happen?

BTW, the log doesn't capture anything when it dies, the log simply ends.
Just now I tried to enable WPS in case that was the cause and the router just randomly rebooted itself a few minutes later. Temperamental little sucker isn't it!
I have installed 4950 according to what Asus has suggested -- perform hardware reset on my AC87U. After upgrade firmware, I manually re-entered necessary settings from scratch. I have only experienced few 5G drops for 7 days. Personally, I feel this version of firmware is more stable and browser refreshing is better than before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!