What's new

1 highend router vs aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webdigo

Occasional Visitor
Greetings everybody. I need some help here.
I have issue with wifi coverage. 100m2 house.
Router is in office room (no option to move it)
My ISP connection is 300/300.

5Ghz in living room is around 140Mbps.
Kitchen around 50Mpbs.
Bedrooms around 240Mbps.
Garden / outside of house I have none.

No option for wired connection. Only wifi please.
I was considering returning my Asus TUF AX5400. Still have 2 days left to return it and get refund.
And then do one of the following.
What do you think would be best?

1: Buy an Asus AX88u-pro. And then hope that it can cover the house well enough. No possibility to move it.

2: Buy an Asus TUF AX3000 as main router standing in the same place. And then grab an Ax56u with placement inside the living room for TV etc., to extend the wifi signal to the house.
Or maybe an extra Asus TUF AX3000, instead of the AX56u.
To run Aimesh.

Can you clarify no option for a wired connection?

Are all clients WiFi only or something else?

Asking as wired back haul will always do better for speed/quality over any type of wireless extender or mesh.

I doubt that you would get significantly better coverage with an AX86U-Pro. Slightly better performance, though.

Your TUF-AX5400 has 2x2 2.4 GHz and 4x4 5 GHz with a tri-core processor. It should perform well for you. Maybe another AX-something (AX58U) as an AiMesh node? As your bedrooms get good coverage now that may be the place for it. Amazon sells refurbished AX58U's for about $100.

I dont want to spend work and time to figure out, how to layout ethernet cables in and around the house, through walls and stuff.
So I prefer just wifi. Despite I know there will be some compromise with this method.

Does AiMesh node needs to be in same room as mainrouter?
Do you think this would be alot better option than the AX88u-Pro?
I put a very quick draw of house below

Last edited:
hou.jpg

I'd still say a single cable for back haul would be worth it but I get the point on building structures not being the most helpful at times for cabling.

What are you trying to achieve with the change? Higher speed in the living room? Higher speed in the kitchen? What would be good enough or are you wanting full ISP speeds everywhere?

The layout you draw has me wondering on the amount of pipework/metal work interfering with the signal to the kitchen so maybe the mesh approach would help bounce the signal around a bit to improve that but in that space, any mesh not using wired or 6gig for back haul is going to compete with the WiFi.

There's many here that know these setups better than me who will be able to help more but knowing the goal you need would be useful.

If you have coax in the walls, look into moca for the backbone ethernet and run either Router + APs or Router + mesh nodes.

I'd still say a single cable for back haul would be worth it but I get the point on building structures not being the most helpful at times for cabling.

What are you trying to achieve with the change? Higher speed in the living room? Higher speed in the kitchen? What would be good enough or are you wanting full ISP speeds everywhere?

The layout you draw has me wondering on the amount of pipework/metal work interfering with the signal to the kitchen so maybe the mesh approach would help bounce the signal around a bit to improve that but in that space, any mesh not using wired or 6gig for back haul is going to compete with the WiFi.

There's many here that know these setups better than me who will be able to help more but knowing the goal you need would be useful.
I need more speed in livingroom. And the garden, right behind it just outside of the house. But livingroom is priority number 1.

How much clutter is there surrounding the router in the home office? It's not a large property, even with thick walls I'd probably expect higher speeds.
If you add a mesh node it needs to be close enough to the router that it gets the maximum speed the router can deliver -that should still be in a room across the hall!

How much clutter is there surrounding the router in the home office? It's not a large property, even with thick walls I'd probably expect higher speeds.
If you add a mesh node it needs to be close enough to the router that it gets the maximum speed the router can deliver -that should still be in a room across the hall!
r1.jpg
r2.jpg

For above: I dont have other option. Wife doesnt want the router anywhere else in the house. Not even hallway as a compromise.

Or putting it here on one of those shells, would be okay too?
I'm still thinking about returning it, and get 2x Asus TUF AX3000, to save some money. One as main and one as AiMesh.

For only a 1,000 SqFt area, you should be getting good WiFi everywhere.

The problem is where you have placed your router currently.

Needs to be high and in the clear. Ideally, 1 metre or more of clearance all around. With at least 3 metres above ground (outside) level.

For the areas you want to be covered as well as possible, I would put the router behind and above the door of the office.

Don't forget that location matters and inches can make a big difference in Router placement. As can router orientation too (z-axis).

As already mentioned, keep all antennae vertical.

If the current router doesn't cut it with the above suggestions, I'd try a GT-AX6000 instead.

Myself, I would return the model you have (the GT-AX6000 is far and away superior).

I'd probably be looking at say an XT9/Zen or something similar just so it's not so visually offensive, and then get it as close to the hallway door, with as much free space surrounding it as possible.

@L&LD much as I love my GT-AX6000, it really is one of the ugliest routers ever designed, if there are issues with it looking unsightly it's not going to be a popular choice!

I will definitely check for the other placements, as you have suggested.

What if I kept this router here, then got an TUF AX3000 as Aimesh node in living room. Would this be optimal?

Get a pair of eero Pro 6 and call it a day. :)

What if I remove the top shelf here, and put router here at red mark. Not hanging on the wall, but on the shelf itself.
Would that work?
IMG_20230723_123053.jpg