What's new

2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

F

fantom

Ever since I bought RT-N66U and through all Merlin firmwares, the signal strength of 5G has been significantly lower than that of 2.4G. Even now two meters away from the router I only get one bar for 5G range and get all five bars at 2.4G. Incresing the power output only helps marginally.
Is that a known problem? I have gone through factory restes already. Any suggestions?

Never had that issue with my N66 5 ghz was lower then 2.4 but only marginal and 5 ghz was very usable.

Same here never an issue. 5GHz has minor limited range over the 2.4 GHz band that is normal. My 5GHz band on the 66U and 66W work great.

No probs here. In fact, 5GHz signal better in some places where 2.4GHz marginal.

Have a look at 'Wireless > Site Survey' and see what sort of interference you're getting. Usually there are more 2.4GHz networks because it's an older standard, but maybe you're living in a 5GHz heavy zone. Or there's some other kind of interference going on.

Have a look at 'Wireless > Site Survey' and see what sort of interference you're getting. Usually there are more 2.4GHz networks because it's an older standard, but maybe you're living in a 5GHz heavy zone. Or there's some other kind of interference going on.
I only have two other 5GHz APs nearby. I tried selecting different channels to no avail. I know another person with the same router (but slightly older firmware) that has the same issues. Might be a hw problem.

Strange I'm 40 feet from my router through 2 walls and am connecting at 243Mbps on the 5 ghz band with my N 66 using latest Merlin FW .

chan 36
40 mhz
TX Bursting disabled
Enable WMM APSD enabled
Optimize AMPDU aggregatio enbled
Optimize ack suppression enabled
Regulation mode off

Strange I'm 40 feet from my router through 2 walls and am connecting at 243Mbps on the 5 ghz band with my N 66 using latest Merlin FW .

chan 36
40 mhz
TX Bursting disabled
Enable WMM APSD enabled
Optimize AMPDU aggregatio enbled
Optimize ack suppression enabled
Regulation mode off
Thx to all that commented. It was indeed a HW probem: two of mine Samsung Galaxy SII phones are apparently not so impressive @ 5GHz band. This time I also tried a Nexus-7 and got pretty much identical coverage in both bands (although I have not tested the throughput).

Thx to all that commented. It was indeed a HW probem: two of mine Samsung Galaxy SII phones are apparently not so impressive @ 5GHz band. This time I also tried a Nexus-7 and got pretty much identical coverage in both bands (although I have not tested the throughput).

how are able to connect Nexus 7 to 5ghz? My wife's Nexus 7 cannot connect to the 5ghz, I have tried several times without no joy - just getting not in range

Last edited:
Am are able to connect Nexus 7 to 5ghz? My wife's Nexus 7 cannot connect to the 5ghz, I have tried several times without no joy - just getting not in range

Note that the first gen Nexus 7 only supports 2.4 GHz. No idea about the 2nd gen one.

how are able to connect Nexus 7 to 5ghz? My wife's Nexus 7 cannot connect to the 5ghz, I have tried several times without no joy - just getting not in range
I got a second generation: it supports 5GHz

Go to system > wireless log and look at the noise and signal levels on the 5ghz band. If your noise is more than -80 (-79... etc) you might want to consider changing channels, the lower noise the better. -81 or better would be ideal. My phone refused to connect without a clean channel.

Then look at the RSSI of your SGSII's, it should be -60 or higher. My sharp TV is 2' away from my router and is -25. My phone is 10' away and is -50. My AC USB dongle is 2 floors up and and is -60.

This should give you an idea if its the receiving end (too much noise) or transmitting end (the phones suck) or both.

ven now two meters away from the router I only get one bar for 5G range and get all five bars at 2.4G.

Both my Nexus 5 and 7 can get 2-3 out of 4 bars 10 meters away on 5ghz using channel 36 of course that is on the top floor where my router is in the bedroom. Middle floor in the same location only gives me 1 bar but the middle bedroom gives me 2-3 out of 4 bars.

Last edited:
In some places in my house, my 5GHz signal is stronger than the 2.4GHz signal on my Nexus 7 2nd gen.
N66U Merlin 374.42.