What's new

2.4G ac wifi issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ionut

New Around Here
Hi,

I recently noticed (even since firmware 384.12 - now I have already installed 384.13 but still the same symptoms) that my devices that connect to the 2.4G wifi network (but only those that have "ac" under the PHY column in the attachment below) have problems connecting to the internet.

Anybody faced the same issue recently ?

I rebooted the devices, I rebooted the router.. nothing worked.

Thank you !

Attachments

• Selection_392.png
    Selection_392.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 246
I'm rather surprised it shows "ac" as a PHY type under 2.4GHz. 802.11ac is 5GHz only, 2.4GHz doesn't support it.

Now I see the same behavior for other devices as well. This time it's a Raspberry Pi 3b and it doesn't show ac anymore, but n.

One more finding: I am able to connect to those devices via ssh (inside the same internal network) but, once I get there, I cannot ping anything from outside. It's like they are blocked (and I haven't blocked them).

Any ideas ?

I hate resetting the router to factory defaults, so I'm still hoping for some suggestions. :)

Same thing here, all of our Samsung phones (S5, S7 and S10) connected to 2.4 GHz (channel 6L, no interference) are using "ac" PHY. Except daughter's new Galaxy A50, which says "n", but seems to be limited to 72Mbit whereas other Samsung's are somehow capped to 192Mbit at 2.4GHz.

Every one of these is however able to connect to internet without problems.

Router is RT-AC66U_B1, now 384.13, but has been the same with every firmware, including Asus own. Resetting router is futile, at least in my case.

24g.png

Last edited:
I just connected my ac comptabile smartphone to my 2.4GHz and it shows 'n' in PHY .... but why are you connecting ac compatible clients to 2.4 when 5 is available ...

RT-AC87U - Merlin 384.12

Now I noticed that the mac address was blocked from going outside the network. I really don't understand why and I remember that I specifically looked if it is blocked or not and it wasn't.

Anyway.. I unblocked it and now I have access to the internet.