What's new

GT-AX600 Smart Connect, MIMO, WiFi Agile Multiband etc.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I just bought the GT-AX6000 and flashed it with Merlin 388.2_2. I upgraded from RT-AC68U. I tried various configurations of Smart Connect (default rules, custom rules), MIMO, WiFi Agile Multiband but am not getting any consistent client connections on either 2.4G or 5G. By that I mean client connects to 5G with good signal (sometimes yes, sometimes no). I then configured the RT-AC68U as AiMesh and put it downstairs (I have 2 story 3500 sq ft home). Still not getting any consistent client connections on either 2.4G or 5G with various configurations of Smart Connect, MIMO, WiFi Agile Multiband. I reboot the router with each configuration and then check the network map. I have searched the forums here and internet but the guidance seems to be "all networks are different, you just have to figure out the best configuration". Is there any general guidance on what to enable/disable? Should I remove the RT-AC68U from AiMesh (even though when clients connect to it it seems to help the signal)? I've seen suggestions to "bind" devices to particular AiMesh nodes. Also, seen suggestions to exclude devices from 2.4G by Wireless MAC Filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Starting with something boring but always working:
One ssid for 5ghz
One ssid for 2.4ghz
Bw on 20 for 2.4 GHz
Bw on 80 for 5 GHz (no dfs channel)
No agile multiband, no airtime fairness, no smart connect, no Universal beamforming, no target wake time, no odfma+mumimo.
No wpa3 on 2.4ghz.

See if everything works and after a week start by enabling ofdma+mumimo.
If everything works for another week start with a single ssid and smart connect (you'll find that It won't work as you might think and you'll revert to two ssid, be sure).

Starting with something boring but always working:
One ssid for 5ghz
One ssid for 2.4ghz
Bw on 20 for 2.4 GHz
Bw on 80 for 5 GHz (no dfs channel)
No agile multiband, no airtime fairness, no smart connect, no Universal beamforming, no target wake time, no odfma+mumimo.
No wpa3 on 2.4ghz.

See if everything works and after a week start by enabling ofdma+mumimo.
If everything works for another week start with a single ssid and smart connect (you'll find that It won't work as you might think and you'll revert to two ssid, be sure).

I had two separate ssid for years and when I got this new router I thought oh I'll try one ssid, better yet it has smart connect. I was just thinking the same thing (to split ssid) when you replied. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll skip all the "smart connect" stuff and just direct connect.

I just bought the GT-AX6000 and flashed it with Merlin 388.2_2. I upgraded from RT-AC68U. I tried various configurations of Smart Connect (default rules, custom rules), MIMO, WiFi Agile Multiband but am not getting any consistent client connections on either 2.4G or 5G. By that I mean client connects to 5G with good signal (sometimes yes, sometimes no). I then configured the RT-AC68U as AiMesh and put it downstairs (I have 2 story 3500 sq ft home). Still not getting any consistent client connections on either 2.4G or 5G with various configurations of Smart Connect, MIMO, WiFi Agile Multiband. I reboot the router with each configuration and then check the network map. I have searched the forums here and internet but the guidance seems to be "all networks are different, you just have to figure out the best configuration". Is there any general guidance on what to enable/disable? Should I remove the RT-AC68U from AiMesh (even though when clients connect to it it seems to help the signal)? I've seen suggestions to "bind" devices to particular AiMesh nodes. Also, seen suggestions to exclude devices from 2.4G by Wireless MAC Filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get the main wireless router working standalone with nothing connected and minimal configuration... before you add to your network.

Hard Reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch...

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

My install notes can help with a base configuration. I would vet your new router with ASUSWRT firmware before adding non-stock firmware.

Generally speaking, your wireless clients should be mostly fine with nothing special configured... like just the default settings... so maybe your new router is suspect.

OE

Get the main wireless router working standalone with nothing connected and minimal configuration... before you add to your network.

Hard Reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch...

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

My install notes can help with a base configuration. I would vet your new router with ASUSWRT firmware before adding non-stock firmware.

Generally speaking, your wireless clients should be mostly fine with nothing special configured... like just the default settings... so maybe your new router is suspect.

OE

Thanks for the info. I did what DocUmibozu said and split the ssid (which is how I had it configured for years). Everything works fine now. I think I'll keep the SSIDs separate.

Should I remove the RT-AC68U from AiMesh

There is a good chance this old router has negative impact on your network. Don't reuse old routers just because you have them. RT-AC68U is 10+ years old now, CPU dependent AC Wave 1 radio, no MU-MIMO, no Smart Connect, no WPA3... and on different firmware branch on top.

There is a good chance this old router has negative impact on your network. Don't reuse old routers just because you have them. RT-AC68U is 10+ years old now, weak main CPU dependent AC Wave 1 radio, no MU-MIMO, no Smart Connect, no WPA3 and on different firmware branch on top.

Ok others have said as well. But when I look at the network map, the clients using that node are 5G with 4 bars. Do you think the Tx rate/Rx rate is compromised? Is there a way to measure throughput (Tx rate, Rx rate) with and without the node? Or do I simply watch/measure through network map, client list?

More Wi-Fi doesn't make things better. A client connected to the main router at 2 bars may go faster than a client connected to this old router at 4 bars.

I turned off the RT-AC68U disabling it from the AiMesh. I'll see how things go.

BTW, is there a way to turn off 2.4Ghz? All my devices are capable of using 5Ghz and I'd rather just use that.

BTW, is there a way to turn off 2.4Ghz?

Yes:

1691939746142.png

For 5GHz radio - use channels 36-48 or 149-161 @80MHz wide to avoid DFS related issues.

I turned off 2.4GHz radio through Wireless: Professional but devices are still able to connect to it (without internet access however). Is there a way to completely disable it (not even discoverable)?

I turned off 2.4GHz radio through Wireless: Professional but devices are still able to connect to it

This is some sort of bug. Turning the radio off in GUI must be turning the radio off. I would test this router with the official firmware only.

Reboot your client device and test again (Restart, not shutdown, then power up. There is a difference). This sounds like a possible client-side issue (caching).

Reboot your client device and test again (Restart, not shutdown, then power up. There is a difference). This sounds like a possible client-side issue (caching).

Restarted and 2.4GHz ssid still shows on devices. I decided to "hide" it but it seems like a security risk that it is still broadcasting.

Where do I add this as a potential bug?

Last edited:
Your router doesn't seem to be in a good/known state.

I would not be using the RT-AC68U with this router except in Media Bridge mode.

Media Bridge Mode

When you flashed RMerlin firmware to the router, did you do a full reset afterward? Did you use a saved backup config file (even worse; from another model router)? Did you plug in a USB drive that had been used previously for amtm/scripts (without first formatting it on a PC to NTFS)? Have you been toggling random settings past their defaults, then, setting them back?

I would suggest a full reset on your router to further troubleshoot this problem without going on a wild goose chase.

Thanks for the info. I did what DocUmibozu said and split the ssid (which is how I had it configured for years). Everything works fine now. I think I'll keep the SSIDs separate.

Configure the SSIDs however you want... what you name your WLANs doesn't matter that much... same SSID names or different (so-called split) SSID names, with or without Smart Connect enabled... it all should work more or less out-of-the-box sans any few difficult clients.

I would not rely on the new router until it is properly commissioned and working normally (clients connecting normally and no odd broadcasts).

OE

Restarted and 2.4GHz ssid still shows on devices.

Did you click Apply at the bottom of the Wireless, Professional settings page?

Some mobile devices will hold and display for some time SSIDs not available anymore.

I did everything L&LD said and I did click Apply at the bottom of the Wireless, Professional settings page. Still broadcasting 2.4GHz. Should I report a bug?

I wouldn't be reporting a bug. I'd be doing an exchange/refund right now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!